Research Assistant II - Clinical Cancer Prevention - Research
MD Anderson Cancer Center
Houston, TX, United States
Posted about 4 days agoExpires on June 14, 2019
The primary purpose of the Research Assistant II position is to provide technical assistance in carrying out various research projects. These projects require complex sample preparation of a variety of human samples such as plasma, serum, and cells, using a variety of technological platforms. Our research projects are focused on metabolic pathways of cancer cells and biomarkers for early detection of cancers.
The salary range is min $ 34,400 mid $ 43,000 max $ 51,600.
1. Research Design, Planning, Coordination & Evaluation:
* Executes assays for cancer research projects including but not limited to cell culture and transfection, Western blotting, RT-PCR analysis, and flow cytometry.
* Assists faculty and other research scientists in developing and validating standard operating protocols (SOPs).
* Tests plasma, cell lines, and tumor samples following validated SOPs.
* Maintains clear record of all experimental work performed in laboratory notebooks and completes all documentation with clear and accurate language, according to the SOP's in place.
* * Compiles, reviews, writes reports, and presents in working group meetings. * Prepares stock solutions and buffers orders necessary reagents, laboratory supplies for future experiments in a timely manner. Performs other duties as assigned.
2. Communication and Team Work:
· * Asks critical and insightful questions to drive decision making and persuasively conveying solutions to a broad range of team members.
· * Communicates with faculty, laboratory scientists, clinical researchers, and field experts extensively and understands their needs and contributes to the study designs of ongoing projects.
· * Works closely in a multidisciplinary team with scientists, clinicians, and biostatisticians to execute the assays as required for research projects.
3. Other duties as assigned.
Must be able to work evenings, weekends, as needed. Requires the ability to adapt to changing conditions in situations and priorities that may be characterized by high stress levels, such as project deadlines. Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, budget and prioritize time and workload, address spontaneous issues and problems, resolve conflicts, and make decisions. The position also requires one to anticipate needs, to recognize situations requiring assistance and have the ability to refer or perform any necessary tasks, and to comprehend the goals of the program and take the initiative in making decisions and taking actions to further these goals.
Required: Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Preferred: Bachelors or Masters degree in immunology, cell biology, molecular biology, bioengineering, biomedical sciences, or related scientific discipline.
Required: Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
Preferred: Experience with human biological samples (plasma). Experience working with animal models is ideal.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html SONJ
Requisition ID: 125294
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Soft
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 34,400
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 43,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 51,600
Nature - Job Type: Research Assistant