About the team/job
Are you passionate about IT and are looking to work in a large-scale, high-performance IT setting using the latest IT technologies? Are you looking for new challenges working with intercultural diversity? EMBL is a world leader in molecular biology research and we seek enthusiastic students to join us in supporting its groundbreaking research.
Our team maintains and develops the state-of-the-art IT infrastructure for the laboratory and is responsible for providing high quality IT support to the users at EMBL Heidelberg.
- Providing excellent desktop computing support to our users. The current environment consists of 1500+ computers and mobile devices including support for MacOS, Windows, Linux and limited support for mobile operating systems
- Providing effective troubleshooting for desktop and mobile device software, hardware and network related issues
- Providing a knowledgeable, friendly and reliable IT helpdesk to our users
- Tracking and documenting of support requests to assure a high quality of service and end user satisfaction
- Identifying areas to improve IT support processes
The successful candidate will join the IT Services Desktop Support team and will report to the Desktop Support Manager.
- A current student status at university or university of applied sciences, Bachelor degree, preferably in computer science, physics, mathematical, technical or science field of study
- Good or very good skills in Operating systems (Windows, MacOS, Linux)
- Fluency in English
- Good communication skills and are self-reliant
You might also have
Previous work experience is a plus.
Why join us
- You’ll have the opportunity to work in a fast-growing big data environment
- We offer a flexible and friendly, international working environment fostering creativity
- EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer with family friendly working environment and strongly committed to achieving gender balance
- You will be part of one of the world’s highest ranked scientific research organizations
What else do I need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research organisation for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation with more than 80 independent research groups covering the spectrum of molecular biology. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary organisation – its 1600 employees, from many nations, operate across five sites near Heidelberg, Hamburg, Grenoble, Rome and Cambridge.
Our mission is to perform basic research in molecular biology; to offer vital services to scientists in the member states; to train scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
This is a project related opportunity with a flexible working arrangement, ideal for students.