Transgenic Core Technician
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
The Fred Hutch Preclinical Models Core is looking for a highly motivated individual with knowledge and experience in transgenic technology. Transgenic core technician will be responsible for the day-to-day technical operation of the transgenic core facility at Fred Hutch. In consultation with the staff scientist, the technician will execute all standard protocols essential for generating transgenic murine lines. The Transgenic Core Technician is classified as essential personnel.
- Animal husbandry and maintenance: Perform tasks related to murine colony management such as setting up breeding pairs, manage breeding rotations and related duties. Technician will also perform proper care and handling of murine post-surgery and mark and identify the founder offspring.
- Embryo handling and manipulation: Execute routine job assignments related to the murine embryos manipulation including superovulation by hormone injections, isolation, collection, cytoplasmic or pronuclear microinjection of fertilized eggs and keeping meticulous records of all procedures. Perform utero-tubal embryo transfer into pseudopregnant recipient and vasectomy surgeries.
- Data Acquisition and Management – Maintain laboratory notebooks and project files. Record data daily into multiple custom databases, including colony/breeding data, microinjection session data etc. Use software tools like Microsoft Excel, Word, SharePoint etc for data & note gathering, maintenance and sharing.
- Team Work – Work as a team with other staff in animal model support as needed. Work on call, weekend, evening, or holiday shifts as part of a rotation, as needed or as assigned.
- Self-Management – Prioritize assignments to complete work in a timely manner. Work efficiently under changing conditions and dynamic scheduling.
- Follow safe animal and equipment handling guidelines and SOPs.
- Maintain and prepare laboratory reagents, stocks and media. Clean and autoclave surgical instruments and maintain laboratory equipment (clippers, pipet holders, scope etc.). Track inventory levels, restock and reorder surgical supplies.
- Support the maintenance of samples- Process and store specimen samples, and thaw and prepare frozen samples, if needed for implantation. Maintain accurate logs.
- Associate’s degree (Bachelor’s degree preferred)
- 2-4 years of experience in working with murine models
- Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt to new systems and techniques
- Experience with murine embryo handling, performing microinjections
- Experience in performing aseptic surgeries in murine models, specifically embryo transfer surgeries
- Working knowledge of murine breeding programs such as breeding, weaning and genotyping
- Capable of working as a team member and maintaining smooth information flow among coworkers
- Experience in performing research using murine models
- Experience with classical transgenic techniques, sperm/embryo cryopreservation and IVF
- Experience in generating murine models using CRISPR/Cas9 technology
- Microsurgery experience
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.