Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory’s almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is a new synchrotron light source operating at Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. NSLS-II seeks a qualified Post-Doctoral Research Associate to join the research effort on model magnonic devices through the study of the spin excitations and their dynamics utilizing the Soft Inelastic X-ray Scattering (SIX) beamline. The SIX Beamline, currently under commissioning, will provide state-of-the-art Resonant Inelastic X-ray Scattering (RIXS) capabilities, with ultra-high energy resolution in the soft X-ray range (160 eV – 2300 eV) up to 70000 resolving power, thus enabling the study of the electronic properties in quantum materials with an unprecedented energy resolution.
The selected candidate will contribute to the construction and testing of a new sample manipulator “Opera” to enable device-operating conditions, perform scientific research by taking advantage of the unique qualities of the SIX beamline, and help with user support at SIX. As a member of the Soft X-ray Scattering and Spectroscopy program, the candidate is welcome to collaborate with other members of the group as well as to utilize complementary research opportunities at other beamlines.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Carry out scientific research on spin excitations from magnonic devices, utilizing the unique capabilities of SIX
• Contribute to development and testing of the “Opera” manipulator
• Participate to user support activities and contribute to achieve and complete high-impact experiments
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ph.D. in Physics, Chemistry, Material Science or related fields
• Prior experience in one or more of the following: synchrotron-based soft X-ray techniques, ultra-high vacuum instrumentation, transport measurements, or measurements under magnetic field and electric field
• Understanding of strongly correlated electron systems
• Strong publication record
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists and users
• Demonstrated analytical skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Experience in X-ray absorption (XAS) and scattering techniques, such as X-ray scattering, neutron scattering, photoelectron spectroscopy, etc.
• Experience in single crystal alignment techniques
• Experience in data analysis and data reduction
• Experience in using software/codes XAS and RIXS calculations such as Quanty, CTM4RIXS, or similar
• Programming skills in Python or similar languages
• Demonstrated ability for disseminating research by writing papers and giving academic talks
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Paid Parental Leave
• Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor