The HHMI CryoEM Shared Resource at Janelia Research Campus is a world class shared cryoEM facility with a large and diverse user base. It serves the entire HHMI community for cutting-edge research in structural biology. The facility currently hosts two highly-configured Titan Krios microscopes equipped with energy filter and K2/K3 cameras and is undergoing an exciting expansion phase. An Aquilos cryo FIB-SEM is being installed, a Chameleon cryogrids preparation system has been ordered and a 3rd Krios microscope with a pre-GIF Falcon 3 camera and a post-GIF K3 camera will be delivered this coming June.
The main function of the facility is 1) high-throughput high quality data collection on user-provided ready-to-image cryo grids and 2) collaborating with labs that provide solution samples to cover the entire cryoEM workflow from sample calibration, cryo grids preparation/screening all the way to high resolution 3D electron density map generation. The facility is now seeking candidates to fill a CryoEM staff scientist position. Compensation will be competitive based on experience. There is no pre-defined term limit on the length of the employment.
- Help maintain and operate various equipment and generate data on user-provided cryo grids.
- Take a leading role in collaboration projects from sample preparation to data collection and image processing
- Participate in or initiate method developments
- Interact closely with users and collaborators
- Properly handle various samples and help maintain and transfer data
- Good team player, enjoying an open, collaborative and mutually respecting team environment
- Motivated to learn new tools/technologies and to take on new challenges
- Willing to develop/test new methods/techniques
- Good communication and people skills and enjoy interacting with various users/collaborators
- Experiences in cryo electron microscopy, particularly cryo FIB-SEM and cryo tomography
- Good knowledge and practical skills with computers and networks
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer