The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
On June 1st, 2019 we kickstart a 3rd party funded project (GeoKur) to investigate how modern data science methodologies can help fostering synthesis and analysis of global land use change data to biodiversity and ecosystem services patterns. The project is coordinated by Prof. Ralf Seppelt (Computational Landscape Ecology department UFZ) in cooperation with Prof. Lars Bernard (TU Dresden’s Geoinformatics group), Dr. Carsten Meyer (head of iDiv’s Macroecology; Society group) and further international partners.
Geographer / Landscape Ecologist / Data Scientist (f/m/x)
Subject: Ontologies and provenance analysis for global land use data
Working time: 100% (39 hours per week), limited to 36 months Employment is subject to approval of funds by the sponsoring party.
A detailed synthesis of global land use pattern and their dynamics is needed to assess biodiversity, land use and food security issues. To jointly analyze such heterogenous mostly gridded global data, a generic ontology (“Essential Land use Variables”) shall be developed, that supports meta-data generation and leads to identification of possible circular reasoning in data synthesis. This post is specifically responsible for developing test-cases characterizing global biodiversity, land use and socio-economy. You will be supporting project management, support open-science collaborative data science solutions and will lead and contribute to project publications.
Knowledge in the analysis of global land use data with respect to biodiversity and ecosystem services pattern and processes
Methodological skills related to metadata, large/complex modelling workflows, geo-statistical analysis, geographic data infrastructures, command-line based data analysis, open-source programming languages (e.g. Python, R, Git)
PhD in any project-related field and interested in developing a career in science
proactive, results-oriented, and with excellent team and communication skills (English)
Please provide the following information with your application:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation to apply for the position, your interest in the announced position/topic, and any job-related experience you think is important (including applied methods)
- A detailed curriculum vitae including a detailed account of relevant technical skills/prior experience
- access to one of your recent statistics/modelling projects relevant for this position (e.g. paper, GitHub repository)
- Copies of certificates (high school/ B.Sc./ M.Sc./ Ph.D.), and a transcript of all covered subjects and grades (B.Sc./ M.Sc.), publication list
- At least one relevant recent own publication
- Two references
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in interdisciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks including the project partners
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration up to TVöD public-sector pay grade 13 including attractive public-sector social security benefits
Equal opportunities are an integral part of our personnel policy, we therefore particularly welcome applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons are given priority where applicants are equally qualified.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:
Prof. Dr. Ralf Seppelt
Place of work: Leipzig
Closing date for applications:
May 7th, 2019
Please use our online application system for your application:
More information about jobs at the UFZ:
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research GmbH – UFZ