Scientist, Structural Biology & Crystallography
FogPharma was founded by renowned life scientist, inventor, pharmaceutical entrepreneur, and biotech company builder Gregory Verdine, with the goal of radically improving treatment outcomes in cancer patients by targeting disease drivers previously believed to be “undruggable.” The company is pioneering a new drug modality, cell-penetrating mini-proteins (CPMP), invented by Verdine and his team members at Harvard University and FogPharma to provide drugs that uniquely combine the broad target-engagement power of biologic drugs with the cell-entry capabilities of small molecules. The lead program, direct-acting beta-catenin antagonists, is expected to provide first-in-class drugs having a unique profile, acting both to ablate multiple intractable cancer types harboring activating mutations in the Wnt pathway, and to also stimulate T-cell infiltration into many solid tumors that at present are poorly responsive to immunotherapy. Additional programs targeting other highly validated targets are also being pursued by the company.
We are a vibrant and driven group of scientists and science lovers, with a strong entrepreneurial spirit, and deeply committed to our mission of adding years to life and life to years through the creation of transformative new medicines.
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join the Biochemistry and Screening group and lead the company’s efforts to structurally characterize novel compounds that target undruggable proteins. The candidate should be a team player with a broad knowledge of protein biochemistry and deep experience in X-Ray crystallography, a passion for scientific research as applied to drug discovery and development, and be eager to work in a fast-paced multidisciplinary environment.
• Expression and purification of recombinant target proteins, and management of outsourced protein production projects
• Crystallization and structure determination of protein-ligand complexes
• Detailed analysis of protein-ligand structures, and interpretation / integration with accompanying biochemical and biophysical data
• PhD in biochemistry, chemistry, structural biology, or related field
• 3+ years relevant industry experience
• Extensive experience with all aspects of protein crystallography, including crystallization robotics, data collection, and structure determination. Experience with Art Robbins Gryphon, Scorpion, and CrysCam instrumentation is a plus.
• Aptitude with detailed structural analyses and integration of structural observations with biochemical and biophysical data
• Strong communication skills, particularly the visual presentation of structural data
• Extensive experience with protein expression, purification, and characterization, and familiarity with in vitro biochemical methods, particularly ligand-binding assays (e.g. pulldowns, SPR/Biacore, FP, FRET, ITC, etc).
• Independence, initiative, focus, willingness to take on responsibility and continually pursue self-improvement
• Ability to work in a team, communicate, and give/receive constructive feedback
• High attention to detail, excellent organizational and documentation skills