Wiley is a provider of content-enabled solutions that improve outcomes in research, education, and professional practice. Our core businesses produce scientific, technical, medial, and scholarly journals, reference works, books, database services, and advertising; professional books, subscription products, certification and training services and online applications and education content and services including integrated online teaching and learning resources for undergraduate and graduate students and lifelong learners. The company’s headquarters are located in Hoboken, New Jersey, with operations in the U.S., Europe, Asia, Australia, and Canada. Wiley-VCH is an international science publisher based in Germany with over 80 years’ experience of producing high-quality professional magazines, scientific journals, books and electronic media in Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science and Life Sciences.
Wiley’s materials science, physics, and life science journals team is looking for a
Deputy Managing Editor
to lead our media and content promotion team.
In this role, you will lead a small team of scientific editors who develop and implement new ways to use digital media to promote journal content. You’ll work on products including Advanced Science and Advanced Materials, and will contribute to the commercial development of our journal services. A successful candidate will be passionate about shaping the future of science communication and developing next-generation products to help researchers promote their published work.
The team that you will lead is responsible for activities that include:
- writing, commissioning, and editing content for AdvancedScienceNews.com
- producing video and animations that highlight journals, events, and content published in top-level journals
The role requires the following:
- Video production experience, including project planning, script writing, filming, video and sound editing, and distribution
- Experience with a CMS such as WordPress or Drupal
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, including Premier Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Expertise in analyzing website traffic (Google Analytics or similar)
- Prior experience as a team leader in a professional setting
- Excellent English language skills
- A PhD in natural science or engineering with relevant work experience; candidates with an advanced degree in scientific journalism and relevant experience will also be considered
In addition, experience with 3D modeling and animation would be an advantage.
The Editorial Office is based at Wiley-VCH in Weinheim, a pleasant small town near Heidelberg in southwest Germany. We offer competitive financial and career rewards, training and career development.