Venture Builder for Health Care & Artificial Intelligence
The new Venture Builder will operate within MIT and lead a team through all phases of new venture discovery, conception, and launch. The position is not part of a business plan competition. Rather, the Venture Builder will originate ideas at MIT.
• Work within the MIT ecosystem to formulate and explore new venture concepts based on breakthrough research and technology insights.
• Facilitate a broad engagement across MIT, including students, post-docs and faculty.
• Work closely with the Proto-Venture Advisory Board to lead discovery and exploration direction, potentially serving as a director of a founding scientific team, and potentially providing support for business development and other similar strategic functions.
• Represent MIT Proto-Ventures Program at external events.
• Explore intellectual property landscape and define opportunity for developing and capturing novel and broad intellectual property protection.
• Define key scientific experiments and establish new venture plans and budgets
• Engage internal and external scientific and research experts.
• Recent PhD in a scientific discipline. Experience in Health Care, Artificial Intelligence, or in related disciplines.
• Experience in translation of technology, leading research teams or building ventures based on research.
• Previous experience in Health Care and/or Artificial Intelligence.
• Scientifically creative thinker with a visionary, optimistic outlook
• Demonstrated business acumen with a keen sense for value based on a broad understanding of all aspects of business e.g. intellectual property, R&D, finance, manufacturing, marketing and sales
• Strategic planning and building skills with sound scientific skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus
• Adaptable, resourceful and entrepreneurial, undaunted by technical and operational challenges
• Excellent communication skills, with ability to craft and convey compelling vision of the future
• Strong leader and team builder, with the ability to develop and encourage a group of scientific professionals and executives, and to build a culture of innovation, perseverance, and agility
• Maintain high level of trust and integrity under strict confidentiality
• Entrepreneurial resourcefulness/business acumen
• Leadership and team building skills
• Communication skills
Successful Candidate will be expected to:
• Identify research opportunities across MIT
• Guide a venture to successful exit from MIT
• Engage faculty, post-docs and students
• Assemble a team and spur and lead ideation
About MIT Innovation Initiative:
The MIT Innovation Initiative is a cross-school effort to strengthen and promote innovation and entrepreneurship at MIT. Our mission is to ensure that within the wealth of activities in the innovation and entrepreneurship landscape, we establish clear and effective pathways for the MIT community to move powerful ideas from conception to impact.