Ref.03.19.07 – Staff Researchers – Tenure Track Position
INL is opening a call for two Staff Researchers to strengthen its research lines
Research Centre: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL
Number of vacancies: 2
Duty Station: Braga, Portugal
Open date for applications: March 8th 2019
Closing Date for applications: April 8th 2019
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int), was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research and to deploy and articulate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to become the world-wide hub for nanotechnology addressing society’s grand challenges in Aging & Wellbeing and Mobility & Urban Living and developing a Safe & Secure Society.
This call is related to the Institutional Call to Scientific Employment Stimulus, which is funded solely by National Funds through the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT):
(a) Reference number: CEECINST/00062/2018.
(b) Scientific Areas: i) Quantum Optics, Quantum Computation Science, Theoretical Photonics; ii) Cellular Bioimaging, Biophysics and Optical Spectroscopy; iii) Bio Engineering and/or Physical Chemistry of Nanodrugs delivery systems.
(c) Description: INL is opening two Staff Reseacher positions to further expand the strategic growth of INL within the areas of Quantum, Photonics and Health. The Staff Researchers will be responsible to secure external funding, develop research and technology activities and seek engagement with the industrial sector as well as to deploy the research area knowledge and resources in projects, being both internal and external.
Description of the functions and key primary responsibilities: The successful candidates will work as Staff Researchers within one of INL Research Departments. She/he will be performing, among others, the following functions:
- Conduct and produce high quality original research;
- Compound research activities and results and disseminate such results in research papers and reports;
- Secure funding through national grants, EU grants, RTD projects with industry and externally funded PhD students;
- Engage in internal managerial and organisational activities;
- Engage in collaborative research with researchers from other Departments and Institutions;
- Engage in RTDI activities together with industrial and other entities ensuring timely and accurate deployment of compounded knowledge to such entities.
The selection of candidates will be carried out by a Selection Committee consisting of the following persons:
1) Dr. Lorenzo Pastrana
2) Dr. Sascha Sadewasser
3) Dr. João Gaspar
4) Dr. Ricardo Ferreira
5) Dr. Jana Nieder
Duration of the contract
The successful candidate will be offered a limited-duration employment contract. The appointment shall cover the duration of the project in accordance with the rules set out by FCT. INL will further offer a tenure-track position with initial appointment for 4 years that may be renewed based on the performance of the individual. The expected starting date is May/June2019.
General Eligibility conditions and required qualifications:
Candidates must comply with the following requirements:
- Hold a PhD Degree within the fields of the selected vacancy;
- Be a Portuguese citizen, a European Union citizen or a non-European Union Citizen with a scientific and professional curriculum that demonstrates an appropriate profile for the activity to be performed;
- Fluency in English is required.
Applications that not meet these conditions will not be considered.
The call describes the requirements in terms of qualifications and professional experience deemed appropriate for the position. If a candidate has additional qualifications and professional experience, they can only be recruited at the job category and profile specified.
Candidates must enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format, failing which the application will not be considered:
(a) Cover letter in English;
(b) Curriculum Vitae in English;
(c) Official transcripts of all relevant academic degrees;
(d) At least one recommendation letter.
Note: The documents must be submitted through the online platform Jobvite, in the “additional files” section using the "add portfolio" icon that appears in the application form.
The evaluation process will follow a three-stage process:
1. Candidate eligibility check
Only full applications will be considered. The applicant will be responsible for the data submission and validation. The application language is English.
Applications that do not meet the eligibility conditions will not be considered.
2. Assessment of the Research Experience of the Candidate
The selection of candidates shall be made by means of an assessment of the research experience within the framework of the Project, which shall focus on the relevance, quality and up-to-date of the following items:
- Scientific and Technological Production (‘STP’);
- Applied and Practice-based Research Activities (‘RA’);
- Activities related to the Dissemination of Knowledge (‘DK’);
- Activities related to the Management of Science, Technology and Innovation programmes (‘MSTI’)
The research experience will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- STP (65%): Academic Qualifications (AQ) – 10%; Research Quality (RQ) – 40%; Impact and Effectiveness (IE) – 15%;
- RA (15%): Research Coordination (RC) – 5%; Development, operation and maintenance of core facilities “instrumentation and/or equipment” (DOM) – 2%; organisation of conferences, symposia and scientific cooperation activities (OCSS) - 2 %; teaching activities “advanced courses or university” (TA) – 3%; research stays and internships (RSI) – 3%;
- DK (5%): Transfer to other areas of society (TS) – 3%; promotion of the public understanding of science (PPUS) – 2%;
- MSTI (5%): Development of Laboratory facilities, management of research groups (DFMG) – 3%; evaluation of STI activities (EA) – 2%.
This criteria will have a total valuation of 90%. The minimum threshold for this stage is 65%.
The top four ranked candidates will be shortlisted for interview, provided however that they pass the threshold mentioned above.
Interviews will be conducted through web conference or face-to-face meetings, as may be deemed appropriate. This criterion will have a total valuation of 10%.
The Selection Committee will draw up the minutes of the R&S process in which candidates will be ranked according to their evaluation scores.
Approval and formal offer:
Successful applicants will be offered the corresponding positions.
How to apply:
The application is made online. Please click on the 'Apply for this job' button.
For the application to be valid, the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form as well as submit all required documents.
What we offer:
- Social Security costs to be paid by INL;
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefit: The personnel working at the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory are exempt from national income taxes so the only deduction from their part of the salary will be 11 % for social security and 12% for an internal tax;
- A family allowance of 160€/month for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance of 200€/month for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members.
INL offers an attractive financial package appropriate to an international research organisation composed by a gross monthly remuneration paid in 12 instalments. Apart from the salary, INL may offer, depending on the personal situation, additional allowances and benefits for families and non-residents.
Due to INL special legal status as intergovernmental organisation, financial benefits are exempt for national income tax.
Pursuant to the rules of the project, the remuneration shall include a contribution from FCT equivalent to a basic salary according to the index 195 corresponding to the 1st level of the category of auxiliary investigator within the Scientific Research Career Statute, approved by Decree-Law 124/99, dated 20 April, corresponding to a monthly gross amount of 3191,82€ as set out in Decree-Law 57/2016, dated 29 August, in its present wording, and Implementing Decree no. 11-A /2017, dated 29 December.
Applicable legal and regulatory framework, taking into consideration the international status of the Organisation:
The contract will be subject to the INL’s Staff Rules, as amended from time to time, as well as to all other relevant instructions issued by the Organisation. For this purpose, a copy of the Staff Rules shall be provided. The contract may also be supplemented by the terms and conditions of the Financing Contract between the Organisation and the FCT governing the implementation of the FCT Project.
Disputes between the Organisation and the Employed Member of the Personnel shall be settled in accordance with the INL´s Staff Rules.
Notification of results:
Each candidate notified via email of the result of their individual application. If the first candidate refuses the offer, the Human Resources will send an offer to the second candidate on the ranking, and so on until the vacancy is filled.
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle:
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
Applicants can receive support regarding applications to this positions via e-mail: email@example.com