Institute of Biomaterial Science
Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
Senior Scientist / Engineer (m/f/d) Medical Device Development
code no. 2019/B 5
The place of employment is Teltow (near Berlin, Germany).
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht in Geesthacht, near Hamburg, and in Teltow, near Berlin, conducts materials and coastal research. For further information please refer to: www.hzg.de.
Fundamental research at the Institute of Biomaterial Science of the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is focused on the development of polymer-based biomaterials for medical applications. For our translational research on biomaterial-based medical devices for (pre-)clinical evaluation we are looking to fill the position of a Senior Scientist (m/f/d) Medical Device Development latest by October 1st, 2019. This will be initially a temporary assignment for two years.
As Senior Scientist (m/f/d) Medical Device Development you will hold a key position in driving and managing research and development projects on polymer-based medical devices together with a team of scientists and technical staff. You will conduct the following tasks based on a solid experience in polymer processing, project management, and regulatory requirements for implantable medical devices:
· Conducting and supervising polymer processing to medical devices by continuous processing, mixing, foaming, extrusion, injection molding, 3D printing or ablation techniques; selection or design of proper instrumentation for processing tasks
· Defining design requirements of medical device; selection of implant materials considering target specifications of implants and requirements for class III medical devices
· Set-up of pilot fabrication; subsequent transfer into clean room environment
· Management and timely planning of management including contributions of different departments and external service providers
· Planning, compiling and checking the documentation of production and analytical characterization of medical device candidates including the process validation according to the quality management system (ISO 13485)
· Contribution to select clinical applications in discussion with clinicians
· Contribution to drafting of Technical documentation of medical device product; drafting and review of quality management documents
· training and supervision of the technical staff
· successfully completed engineering degree (master level, university/university of applied science) in engineering with a close link to polymers, e.g. chemical engineering, polymer processing technologies, biomedical engineering
· track record of experience in research and development in industry or PhD in the field of this call; hand-on skills in set-up and handling of instruments, design of processing setups (including CAD models) and process control
· extensive R&D experience in polymer based medical devices, processing of polymers, product development
· extensive experience in project management
· preferred: experience in preparing polymer network materials, polymer crosslink, sterilization, polymer synthesis, characterization of molecular structure of polymers
· familiar with the quality and regulatory requirements for manufacturing and quality control of biomaterials/medical devices; work experience under a quality management system (ISO 13485)
· strong organizational and communication skills; capable of efficiently managing a team to reach development goals in time
· fluent business language in English; international applicants are expected to continuously work on German language skills
· high level of personal commitment and stress resilience
· experienced handling of MS Office, CAD software and instrument software
- a diversified and responsible job in an international environment
- an attractive working environment where your ideas and your engagement are demanded
- appropriate salary related to TV-AVH as well as the usual public sector social benefits
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents including your CV, description of your scientific and work expertise, list of publications if existing, references and copies of credentials (B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.) including grades indicating the reference code number 2019/B 5, preferably via email containing one file not exceeding 8 MB to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is April 9th, 2019.