The Site Service Technician will provide laboratory support and services to the entire campus, working in any of the Site Supply Services departments: Glasswash, Mailroom, and Shipping/Receiving. Effectively communicate and coordinate tasks within the team, as well as with leadership, and internal and external customers. Perform data entry of department statistics. Provide support to colleagues and leadership, including the provision of coverage. Ensure compliance with HHMI’s related policies and procedures. Maintain constructive and collaborative relationships with all vendor, JRC, and HHMI staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Business Unit Functions
- Cooperatively able to execute high-quality services in each of the Site Supply Services functions, including but not limited to:
- Collection and delivery of glassware
- Develop working knowledge of laboratory glassware brands, types, and sizes
- Manual wash and machine loading/unloading of glassware
- Sterilization of glassware
- Quality Assurance testing of glassware, equipment, and procedures
- Equipment performance monitoring, troubleshooting, and error reporting
- Piece count tracking and data entry
- Materials inspection for defect identification and retirement/replacement Mailroom
- Collection and distribution of United States Postal Service (USPS) and interoffice packages and mail (inbound/outbound)
- Working knowledge of USPS regulations for handling and delivery of mail
- Posting outbound mail, utilizing postage meter and online software
- Physical receipt, organization, and distribution of inbound packages and freight
- Collection and processing of outbound packages and freight
- Packaging outbound shipments (excluding hazardous materials and dangerous goods)
- Compliance with regulations and requirements for handling controlled substances
- Identification and segregation of inbound chemicals
- Package detail data capture (tracking number, recipient, PO number, etc.)
- Collection, organization, screening, and imaging of packing lists
- Receipt processing in Ariba P2P
- Assist in locating lost shipments and resolving issues regarding missing / damaged shipments
- Unloading, staging, and delivery of goods using manual equipment
- Inventory replenishment
- Monitor inventory of Site Supply Services department materials
- Provide ancillary support to stockroom programs as needed
- Reliably capture data to ensure accuracy and reliability of statistics.
- Perform other duties as assigned based on operational needs.
- Team Performance and Development
- Collaborative member of Site Supply Services team, performing all duties as assigned.
- Assists team members with department coverage plans.
- Ability to successfully complete Hazmat Air Shipper (IATA/49) and Hazmat Ground Shipper (DOT) Certifications.
- Attend and contribute to regularly scheduled group meetings.
- Effectively cooperate and communicate with contractors and staff and is able to manage requests (via phone, email, or verbal communication) from administrative and scientific staff.
Scope: This is an individual contributor role and has no supervisory or budgetary responsibilities.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- 1-2 years related experience preferred.
- Familiarity with laboratory supplies and experience in the field of Life Sciences or a laboratory setting preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work in, collaborate with, and understand diverse research environment culture and to actively engage with scientific community.
- Customer-centric approach.
- Effective organizational and time-management skills, strong sense of urgency, and the ability to perform consistently under pressure.
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Excellent attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication.
- General working knowledge of hazardous materials and the ability to identify and segregate controlled substances.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work occasional weekends and/or holidays, and be flexible with work hours as needed.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull up to 50 lbs. unassisted and consistently handle materials.
- Extensive walking is required.
- Work in and around shipping/receiving docks, stockrooms, storage locations, offices, and laboratories.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.