Call for Applications: Ph.D. Program and Integrated MS-Ph.D. Program of IBS School-UST (for September 2019 entry)
- Application Deadline: March 18, 2019 06:00 PM (GMT+9)
- Qualification: Undergraduate or Masters
IBS School is looking for exceptional graduate students who have dreams of becoming global leaders in basic science research.
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) was established in November 2011 by the South Korean government with the purpose of driving forward the development of basic science. With its internationally recognized researchers and research infrastructures, IBS conducts world-leading research comparable with those global research institutes. In order to foster the next generation of leaders in basic science, IBS established a graduate school program, IBS School-UST in September 2014. IBS School-UST selects the best students in the world and provides them with research-centered education by allowing them to participate in leading research. At IBS School-UST distinguished researchers from across the globe teach and advise students on research.
o Eligibility: Outstanding students at home and abroad who want to earn doctoral degree in basic science
– Degree Programs: Ph.D. Program, Integrated MS/Ph.D. Program
– Field of Study: Basic Science Majors
What We Offer
– 24million KRW of stipends per year (for Ph.D. students)
– Opportunities for participating in overseas training programs, international academic conferences, workshops, etc.
o Center for Cognition and Sociality
– Thalamo-cortical circuits in control of cognition and emotion
– Neural mechanisms for social behavior
Required Qualifications for Degree Programs
o Ph.D. Program
– A person who has earned a master’s degree or expects to receive a master’s degree
– A person who has credentials similar to or higher than the above in accordance with the relevant laws and decrees
o Submit your application via UST application website (http://apply.ust.ac.kr/ ).
o Application Deadline: March 18, 2019 06:00 PM (GMT+9)
o Candidates for in-depth evaluation who passed 1st stage of screening process will be announced on April 30, 2019.
2019 Call for IBS Young Scientist Fellowship
Apply via homepage (http://www.ibs.re.kr/ysf/apply) no later than May 31, 2019 (KST).
- Qualification: MD or PhD
1. Purpose and Background
With the vision of “Making Discoveries for Humanity and Society,” the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) was founded in 2011 by the Korean government to promote basic sciences in Korea. Thirty Research Centers have been launched and each Center has been yielding outstanding results in various fields of research.
The IBS “Young Scientist Fellowship” started in 2016 to play an active role in fostering next-generation basic science leaders. We believe this fellowship offers opportunities to conduct independent research by utilizing state-of-art infrastructures and to grow on the basis of research collaborations with leading researchers.
We hope that the YS Fellowship serves as a stepping stone for our research fellows to be appointed as independent principal investigators at the prestige institutions worldwide.
o Within 5 years of obtaining a PhD or under the age of 40 with a PhD (born no earlier than January 1, 1979)
o Ph.D. candidates must be conferred with Ph.D. degrees before August 31, 2019
o Researchers currently participating in the IBS research centers are NOT eligible to apply
3. Recruiting Research Center and Number of Openings
- Please refer: http://www.ibs.re.kr/ysf
4. Benefit and Condition
o Annual budget of KRW150-300M per year including KRW60-70M salary
o Appointment for 3 years with possible extension of 2 years depending on the results of interim review
(Full-time work or 100% research participation). ※ Please refer to FAQ for details.
o After physically relocated to one of the IBS Centers, YSF conducts independent research by utilizing research facility and equipment of the Center (Can organize small research group).
o Selected YSF shall commence his/her research between January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020.
5. Selection Process: Three Steps
o Letter of intent
1. Submission deadline: ~ May 31, 2019
2. Review by Directors and Evaluation Panel members
3. Invitation to submit full proposals: ~ June 30, 2019