The Malaghan Institute of Medical Research is New Zealand’s leading independent biomedical research institute, with a focus on breakthrough discoveries in immunology and immunotherapy. We have around 100 staff committed to finding cures for diseases using the body’s own immune system.
Our dedicated Translational Immunology team investigates the microbiome’s influence on the development of an optimal immune system, with an aim to identify potential links with non-communicable diseases such as asthma, allergy, obesity, cardiovascular disease and cancer.
We are looking for a talented and passionate Postdoctoral Research Fellow to join our Translational Immunology team on a 2 year fixed-term basis (full-time), to design and execute cutting-edge B cell immunology and microbiome research.
- PhD in the field of immunology, with extensive experience in B cell immunology and microbiome research.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Experience using animal models.
- Isolation and characterisation of immune cells in mucosal tissues, including the gastrointestinal tract.
- Advanced knowledge of flow cytometry (standard and/or spectral).
- Solid understanding of B cell biology.
- Significant understanding of microbiome-immune interactions.
- Experience in analysing microbiome sequencing data (either 16s or metagenomic).
- Strong publication record.
- Designing and implementing animal vaccination models.
- Using cellular techniques to demonstrate underlying mechanism(s).
- Identifying novel pathways influencing B cell responses in SPF mice.
- Using microbiome manipulation strategies to modulate vaccination responses in animal vaccination models.
- Opportunities to support and engage in life-saving projects.
- Exposure to a unique research environment working with highly driven scientists and support staff.
- Training and development opportunities.
- An excellent location, with great offices at Victoria University in Kelburn.
- A supportive team culture.
- Salary of $74k – $90k depending on experience
If you would be a valuable additional to our Translational Immunology team, apply now by sending your cover letter and CV . Applications close Friday 29 March for an immediate start. Interviews will be held throughout should the right candidate apply. Don’t wait, apply today!
The Malaghan Institute is an Accredited Employer and will assist with Visa applications for the right candidate.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.