At the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Clinical Science, a full-time (100 %) position as Postdoctoral Fellow is available for a period of 3 years. The position can be extended up to one (1) year if part of the postdoctoral training is done abroad. The position is linked to the European Research Council (ERC) Starting Grant project ”Oral Bacteria as determinants for Respiratory Health (BRuSH)”. This postdoctoral position has been financed by the Faculty of Medicine, the University of Bergen.
Special requirements for the position: The postdoctoral fellow will be given the opportunity for a 6-12 months biostatistical training at the University of Pittsburgh (PA, USA) with Professor Shyamal Peddada. If the Postdoctoral Fellow chooses to do so, he/she has the opportunity to extend the duration of the position beyond the 3 years, corresponding to the duration of the research stay abroad (a maximum of 1 year).
About the project/work tasks:
This project will use population-based multicenter studies with questionnaires, clinical data, and environmental samples collected at several time-points to
- identify bacteria with especially potent pro-inflammatory lipopolysaccharides (LPS) in oral and environmental samples
- describe the type of LPS and LPS-producing bacteria that are present in the various samples
- explore whether particular types of LPS-producing bacteria cause lung inflammation and reduced lung function over time
The main objectives for the position are to
- analyse microbiome sequencing data from oral and environmental samples
- apply both standard statistical analyses and advanced methods in biostatistics
- write scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals
- present results in scientific conferences and meetings
- co-mentoring of pre-doctoral students in the research group
- be involved in planning of the clinical follow-up of study participants
- contribute in the planning of workshops and meetings with collaborators in Norway and internationally (Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Estonia, Germany, and the USA)
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- a PhD degree (or other corresponding education equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree) within the field of epidemiology, microbiology, molecular biology, biostatistics, informatics or a related discipline, or have the doctoral thesis approved within the closing date of the application. It is a condition for appointment that the disputation is complete and approved before appointment
- experience in analyses of sequencing data (from next generation sequencing), preferable microbiome data
- experience in running advanced bio-statistical models or the ability and interest to learn advanced biostatistics
- knowledge in use of R tools and other statistical packages or programming languages will be an advantage
- having produced original peer-reviewed publication in international journals within the field of microbiome or microbiota related research, biostatistics or statistical methods will be of importance
- personal skills will be emphasized. The candidate should be motivated and responsible, and also have a great work capacity and enthusiasm for research
- to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others
- fluency in both written and oral English
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. You can not be employed as a postdoctoral fellow for more than one fixed term period at the same institution. Also, you cannot be employed in a postdoctoral position if you have previously held this type of position at a different institution in the region.
Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work including a work schedule. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
The employee may be assigned up to 25 % required duties in the form of teaching and similar work at the department.
The fixed term period for the position is three years, with the possibility for an extension of the period up to one years if a research-related stay abroad shall be included in the employment period.
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- Salary level 59 (code 1352/pay framework 24.3) at present NOK 515 200 gross p.a., with a degree in Medicine or Dentistry level 61 (code 1352/pay framework 24.5) at present NOK 534100 gross p.a., with a medical specialization level 63 (code 1352/pay framework 24.7) at present NOK 555 100 gross p.a. on the government salary scale. Further promotion will be after service seniority in the position
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant`s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- transcripts and diplomas (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose witnessed diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations) and documentation of approved doctoral thesis
- complete list of publications
- publications (pdf) it is important that each of the scholarly works on which the committee should place special emphasis, is attached in its entirety
- two referees (name and contact information)
For further information please contact PI Randi J Bertelsen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
The University of Bergen applies the principles of public access to information when recruiting staff to academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named in the list of applicants. The applicant will be notified if their request is not met.