Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
Research Technician III - Job Description
In the 21st century explorations at the interface of chemistry and biology will spawn new medicines and diagnostics that improve human health, technologies for probing natural biology and roadmaps for creating synthetic forms of life engineered to serve human needs. Dr. Bertozzi’s lab focuses on creating new platform technologies that promote these endeavors, as well as applying chemical approaches to study systems that elude more conventional methods of biological inquiry. Examples of technologies that drive our research are bioorthogonal chemistries, site-specific protein modification methods and synthetic glycopolymers that emulate cell-surface glycoproteins.
This position will back-up the lab manager and will perform tasks such as maintaining adequate supplies for experimental needs, assist in equipment maintenance and help manage safety programs to insure compliance with all applicable regulations. Candidate will establish short to intermediate term goals and schedules work to meet all goals. Work is reviewed by supervisor and may train others in technical areas. Special projects may be assigned as needed.
- Support a lab of graduate students, postdoctoral researchers and research scientists
- Assist with research projects and contribute to technical training of students and postdoctoral fellows
- Work efficiently and cooperatively with a team of researchers
- Prepare media and stock solutions
- Maintain Competent cell stocks
- Maintain Restriction Enzyme stocks
- Help maintain lab organization, order and stock supplies
- Opportunity to contribute to research projects
- Scan paper lab notebooks into digital, and upload to the lab Dropbox account
- Assist lab with move to Chem-H in the fall of 2019
- Lifts and/or carries objects weighing up to 30 pounds
- Stoops, bends and stands for an hour
- Reaches and grasps with arms and hands
- BS/BA in biochemistry, biology, or related fields
- Experience with animal models
- 5+ years’ experience with molecular and cellular biology experimental techniques and understanding of the underlying scientific principles
- Detail oriented with highly accurate work product
- Strong writing and computer skills, including demonstrated proficiency with the Mac platform and Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to use good judgment in responding to inquiries
HHMI is an equal opportunity employer