HHMI is widely recognized as an innovative national philanthropy, the world’s foremost medical research organization, a leading light in science education and a top institutional investor.
HHMI has achieved its leadership role by aligning our mission with our vision, capitalizing on change, encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation. At HHMI, you are not just an employee - you are part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges across a multitude of areas.
The Senior Planning & Financial Analyst will be responsible for developing, analyzing and submitting budgets, forecasts and financial plans for assigned programs and cost centers. In this role, you will summarize financial information, analyze trends and develop monthly and quarterly reports and presentations for Trustees and management. You will also provide assistance to budget area heads and cost center managers in a financial capacity. The Senior Analyst will develop, test and maintain financial management reports in Workday and Cognos and participate with implementation and upgrades of financial systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Budgeting - Develop, coordinate, analyze and submit annual expenditure and revenue budgets for assigned programs and cost centers, including meeting with budget area heads and cost center managers to assist in developing their budgets. Assist in consolidation of budgets for overall presentation to management. Coordinate and reconcile the annual budget upload in Workday and Cognos, and consolidate for budget areas to validate and review
- Forecasting - Coordinate, analyze and recommend forecast revisions for assigned programs and cost centers at scheduled intervals during the fiscal year. Meet with budget area heads and cost center managers to assist and recommend forecast adjustments.
- Management Reporting and Variance Analysis - Summarize financial information for monthly, quarterly, year-end and ad-hoc management presentation including results on actuals and projections. Analyze expenditures and revenue for assigned programs and cost centers. Recommend adjustments and prepare variance analysis.
- Long Range Planning – Assist in the development and maintenance of long range financial planning models for management.
- Capital Project Budgets - Prepare project accounting and financial reporting for capital and major projects. Prepare financial reports for various initiatives that are underway at Headquarters for facilities, business systems and information technology infrastructure.
- Month-End Close - Prepare and enter accounting adjustments, payroll adjustments, journal entries and budget transfers. Review project spending and capitalize project assets. Create and maintain projects and hierarchies in Workday. Review month-end reconciliation of GAAP versus management reporting and make any necessary corrections.
- Reporting, Systems Implementation and Maintenance - Maintain the electronic budget developmental model for Headquarters’ budgets. Maintain and test Workday financial reports and coordinate revisions to the Headquarters reporting dashboard. Prepare and update job aids for assigned Workday tasks. Provide training and assistance as needed to assigned users. Participate in the implementation or upgrade of financial and budgeting systems.
- Liaison and Customer Service - Build strong relationships with assigned budget owners to ensure collaborative efforts in preparation of budgets and forecasts. Serve as a resource to the budget owners and as the subject matter expert on reporting, budgets, actual expenses/revenues and causes for variances. Provide assistance with a high customer service orientation.
- Others - Provide ad hoc analysis and perform other duties as assigned.
- Analytical, reasoning skills and excellent judgment are critical
- Demonstrated high level of proficiency with computer technology and data modeling
- Attention to detail a must. Ability to prepare, review and verify analyses and documentation for accuracy
- Must be able to function as a technical and subject matter expert, with the ability to understand and articulate how and why things are done
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple competing priorities, meet and anticipate frequent deadlines in a timely manner
- Ability to flexibly adjust to changing priorities and still operate effectively in a fluid environment
- Ability to take initiative, be creative and proactive, think ‘out of the box’ to find innovative solutions
- Strong oral and written communications skills are essential
- Excellent independent judgment and decision making skills consistently demonstrating discretion, tact and diplomacy
- Fundamental understanding of general accounting practices and financial analysis
- Ability to maintain a high level of customer service, to ‘go the extra step’
- Ability to effectively interact with people at all staff levels within and outside the Institute
- Minimum of 8 years experience in budget planning and financial analysis
- Bachelor’s degree required; Accounting, Finance, Economics or similar preferred
- CPA or MBA preferred
- High-level proficiency in data modeling and spreadsheet analysis is required
- High-level proficiency in MS Office Suite, Adobe, Workday, Tableau and Cognos Café or similar systems is preferred
- Experience in life sciences and/or basic research industries a plus