About the team/job
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world, is looking for a full stack developer who will actively participate in the development, deployment, and application of algorithms and software for analysis and visualization of big imaging mass spectrometry data.
This position is open in the Alexandrov Team within the ERC Consolidator project METACELL on creating novel methods for single-cell analyses integrating microscopy and metabolomics (https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/213785) and the European Information and Communication Technologies project CloudButton on developing serverless data analytics platform (https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/219101).
- Contribute and potentially direct the development of our Vue.js-based front-end web application
- Learn cutting-edge technologies and apply them for the benefits of science and our users
- Prototype web applications for emerging innovative R&D projects
- Degree in Computer Science or a closely related degree
- Experience working as a software developer (3+ years)
- Well-rounded engineering skills; full-stack development experience – web + back-end services
- Practical knowledge of modern web frameworks
- Unit testing, integration testing, continuous integration, Docker
- Working knowledge of relational databases such as PostgreSQL
- Good knowledge of VCS (e.g. Git)
- Great communication skills – ability to think creatively and adapt the message to the audience
- Proficiency in English
You might also have
- Practical knowledge of modern frontend frameworks like React.js, Angular, and Vue.js
- Proficiency in CSS and HTML magic
- Experience with AWS or another cloud provider
- Experience with Linux, message queues (like RabbitMQ), ElasticSearch and GraphQL
- If you’ve built something in your spare time, send us the link, we’d love to hear about it
Why join us
You will be a critical part of the dynamic, interdisciplinary, international and cross-cultural team where we work at the intersection of biology, chemistry, and computer science. Our team has a flat organizational structure, currently consisting of 3 developers and 7 scientists. We use advanced software engineering to develop professional open-source software for data science, computational biology, and data visualization. Our award-winning work has been published in top-level bioinformatics and methods journals, and has been highlighted by various scientific journals (Nature, PNAS, PLoS) and public media (CNN, Der Spiegel, Wired, Health, BusinessInsider).
You will contribute to the frontier of science at the intersection of imaging, computational biology, and big data analysis. You will develop web applications for analysis and visualization of big molecular data generated by imaging mass spectrometry and novel single-cell technologies. You will work with users from throughout the world who apply our tools in biology, medicine, and pharma and with our collaborators including major research institutes and cloud technologies developers.
What else do I need to know
We love using modern software technologies including, but not limited to: Python 3, scipy, pandas, TypeScript, Node.js, Vue.js, Docker, CircleCI, git, Amazon Web Services, Apache Spark and Ansible. Our main software product is METASPACE: http://metaspace2020.eu, https://github.com/metaspace2020.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
The work at EMBL and the Alexandrov team comes with
- Possibility for position extension, depending on circumstances at the time of the review
- Flat hierarchies and freedom to make decisions and grow professionally
- Access to learning resources, training and budget for conference visit
- Creative, diverse and international environment
- Broad spectrum of technological challenges
- Visa sponsorship and relocation
- Organized sport groups
- Regular team events
- German classes