About the team/job
The Flow Cytometry Core Facility at EMBL is growing and we are looking for an enthusiastic technician or master degree holder with a strong background in Flow Cytometry and cell sorting. As a core facility, we are a key service to multiple laboratories within all units at EMBL Heidelberg and external users from our member-states. The facility is supporting scientific projects ranging from cell biology, stem cell biology, advanced genome biology, microbiology as well as developmental biology. The facility is equipped with high-end cell sorters and analysers from BD, Beckman, and Cytek and provides access to single-cell sequencing technology in cooperation with EMBLs Genomics core facility.
The successful candidate will join a small, international team with a primary focus on daily instrument maintenance and optimization, general laboratory organization and hands-on user support, depending on experience. The secondary focus will be to help and support the team providing cell sorting support and data analysis. Participation in internal and external training activities is expected.
The applicant will support the activities at the facility by:
- Performing all necessary daily maintenance routines
- Organise and manage the general laboratory, including timely purchases and stocking of supplies
- Supports users at the facility when performing analyses
- Helps and provides guidance on cell sorting
- Supports users with their data analysis questions
- Prepares data for and writes SOPs for routine applications and participates in creating video guides for cytometer operations with colleagues
- Supports the training activities of the Flow Core Facility within the internal and external EMBL training programme
The position provides a great chance to grow deep technical knowledge and to learn how core facilities provide the best possible service to outstanding scientists. A good background on Flow Cytometry with a minimum of 3 years hands-on experience is a prerequisite for this position, but the operation of cell sorters and the maintenance of Flow Cytometry equipment can be learned at the facility.
- Very good knowledge of English – oral and written
- A proven solid knowledge of Flow Cytometry as a basic technique in biological research with a minimum of three years hands-on experience with Flow Cytometry or cell sorting at a 4-12 colour level
- Good knowledge of either DiVa, Summit, or FACSChorus at a level that allows training of new users
- Good knowledge of either FlowJo or FCSExpress at a level that allows for training and support
- Proven experience in organising S1 or S2 laboratories
- Experience in preparing detailed SOPs
- Diligence in handling time-critical orders and stock-keeping
Why join us
The position provides a great chance to grow deep technical knowledge and to learn how core facilities provide the best possible service to outstanding scientists. EMBL’s core facilities are actively cooperating on a level that allows learning skills across platforms which allows to grow in the job. Our team is small and extremely supportive and thrives on collegial appreciation.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else do I need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Interviews are planned for 25/26th April 2019.