The department has a national role and responsibility for research and teaching in biotechnology and food science and a wide range of expertise. We have a special responsibility of teaching in the disciplines of biochemistry and microbiology.
The scientific activity is organized in the four main areas of Biopolymers and Biomaterials, Food Science, Microbial Biotechnology, and Analysis and Control of Microbial Systems. The department focuses on developing integrated research groups where researchers and lecturers within related fields can establish strong research and teaching units.
- The successful candidate will join the Microbial Biotechnology unit. The Microbial Biotechnology group is performing basic experimental and theoretical / computational research on microorganisms to understand fundamental microbial structures and mechanisms and apply these insights to develop new and competitive industrial bioprocesses.
- It is expected that the professor/associate professor will initiate new research programs and engage extensively in applications for external research funding, e.g. from the Research Council of Norway, European research and educational agencies, the industry sector, and other available sources.
- The professor/associate professor will contribute toward the department’s educational profile and promote excellence in learning environment, in collaboration with colleagues and students. She or he is expected to take part in teaching at all levels (BSc, MSc and PhD) in courses offered at the department. In addition, she or he should supervise MSc students, PhD candidates and postdoctoral fellows.
- The professor/associate professor is also expected to participate in the formal management of research, education and other relevant areas of activity.
The successful candidate shall have a proven record in Computational Biotechnology with strong experience in microbiology. Areas of interest include, but are not limited to: systems modelling and algorithm development for analysis and integration of large data sets (e.g. omics data sets), bioinformatics and statistical analysis, biological network modelling, kinetic modelling, genome-scale metabolic analysis, machine learning and artificial intelligence. Interdisciplinary or collaborative research experience that complements existing strengths at the department is encouraged.
Evaluation of candidates for Professor/Associate Professor will be based on scientific merit, experience in teaching/mentoring, pedagogical training and project management. The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in a relevant field, a proven track record of research in a field related to microbial biotechnology the last five years, and the ability to attract external funding. The evaluation will take into account the loss of publishing productivity for applicants who have had parental leave during the last years.
The position of Professor requires university education in a relevant field. In addition, academic competence at least at doctoral level is required in the relevant subject area.
The applicant’s research must be documented and of high international quality, showing both breadth and depth. Production must reflect an independent research profile and show the ability to take up new research issues. Continuous research activity is a prerequisite for the granting of professorial competence. Strong emphasis will be placed on publication of research results in recognized international journals within his or her subject area. The greatest emphasis is placed on academic work during the past five years.
Emphasis will be placed on ability and experience in initiating and leading research and development work, and in obtaining external funding for research. Emphasis will also be placed on a documented commitment to teaching, development of teaching materials, and supervision of students at all levels.
- Associate Professor:
The position of Associate Professor requires would preferably have a Ph.D. within the last ten years.
The ability to initiate and lead research and development work will be emphasized. Strong emphasis will be placed on publication of research results in recognized international journals within his or her subject area. The greatest emphasis is placed on academic work during the past six years.
Basic qualifications in the discipline of education are required. Anyone who is appointed without having formal basic qualifications in the discipline of education (formerly referred to as practical qualifications in teaching at university level) and who is unable to document equivalent qualifications is required to complete an approved course within two years of appointment. Uniped at NTNU offers qualifying courses.
Pedagogical skills and qualifications will be emphasized. The evaluation will be based on documented material related to teaching, forms of presentation for the academic works, experience in teaching, supervision of doctoral and master’s degree subjects as well as other types of pedagogical background. Applicants with teaching experience at university level will be preferred. Quality and breadth will be evaluated.
Employees who do not have formal qualifications in teaching at university level and who cannot provide documentation of equivalent qualifications must complete an approved pedagogical development programmewithin two years of appointment.
The person appointed must comply with the decisions about changes due to developments in the subject area, and the organizational changes that may result from decisions regarding the university’s activities.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course in Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU. The Department will help newly appointed staff with organizing course attendance and will cover course costs.
Please see the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts for general criteria for the position.
In the assessment of the best qualified applicant, education, experience and personal suitability will be emphasized, as well as motivation for the position.
Salary and conditions
The position as Professor/Associate Professor comes with a starting package for new research staff, opportunities for mentoring and is remunerated according to the Norwegian State salary scale. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Members of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund are offered a generous pension for life and access to favorable housing loan and insurance schemes.
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is required that the newly appointed member of staff takes up residence in Trondheim or nearby. Norway, like other Scandinavian countries, has generous rules for both maternity and paternity leave. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life (http://trondheim.com/). Having a population of 200,000, Trondheim is a small city by international standards with low crime rates and little pollution. It also has easy access to a beautiful countryside with mountains and a dramatic coastline.
About the application
The application and description of the academic works to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
The application must include:
- CV, testimonials, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works – published or unpublished – that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic work that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be taken into account in the assessment
- A list of your works with information on where they have been published
- Name and address of three potential references
- A research statement (max 5 pages) describing the importance of the applicant’s scholarship, outline opportunities to positively impact the discipline, and describe plans for initial grant applications.
- A brief description of teaching qualifications based on a list of factors (“Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU”)
- Other documents which the applicant would like to present
- If relevant, a list of supervised projects with information on funding agency, years of duration and the funds received.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
NTNU human resources policy objectives emphasize diversity and equality. Moreover, the Department of Biotechnology and Food Science actively pursues diversity and gender balance for a good scientific environment. Therefore, all qualified applicants regardless of their gender, functional ability, national or ethnic background are strongly encouraged to apply.
The appointment will be made in accordance with current regulations concerning State Employees and Civil Servants.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
More information about the Department and the open position can be obtained from professor Eivind Almaas, e-mail: email@example.com or Head of Department Kjetil Rasmussen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit your application with your CV, diplomas and certificates via jobbnorge.no. Applicants who have been short-listed will be invited for interviews and a demonstration of their pedagogical ability, usually in the form of a trial lecture. Short-listed applicants will also present a seminar outlining their current research and future research plans. Applicants invited for interview must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas. Mark the application with reference number: 21/19.
Deadline for applications: 22.04.2019