Faculty Positions in School of Biotechnology, Jiangnan University
Jiangnan University is situated in the city of Wuxi, which is by the beautiful Taihu Lake in China’s well-developed Yangtze River Delta region. The university, selected for the state “Project 211”, is one of China’s national key universities directly under the administration of the Ministry of Education.
The School of Biotechnology at Jiangnan University is China’s birthplace of the fermentation engineering discipline, with the state’s very first national key discipline in fermentation engineering. The school is one of the most influential and competitive research and development bases in biotechnology in China. In September, 2017, the school’s Light Industry Technology and Engineering program was successfully selected as a world-class discipline in the national Double First-Class Project, which, jointly announced by the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Finance and the National Development and Reform Commission, aims to construct world-class universities and disciplines in China.
The School, with a complete talent training system, has the most competitive fermentation engineering program in China, and is one of the first batch of institutions offering the master’s and doctoral degrees in fermentation engineering, as well as the post-doctoral positions in light industry engineering.
With high-quality teaching resources, such as the national life science and technology talent training base and the experimental zone for training mode innovation, the school is one of the first pilot sites for the plan of professional excellence in engineers by the Ministry of Education. The school also has a high-quality faculty team, including academicians of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and winners of the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars.
The school has built national research and development platforms, including the National Engineering Laboratory for Cereal Fermentation Technology, the National Engineering Center for Fermentation Technology (Wuxi) and the National Microbiology Resource Information Platform, as well as provincial and ministerial platforms, such as the Key Laboratory of Industrial Biotechnology and the Key Laboratory of Carbohydrate Chemistry and Biotechnology by the Ministry of Education, the innovation base for applied microbiology and biological manufacturing technology and the collaborative innovation center for modern industrial fermentation of Jiangsu Province.
The school pays great attention to the transformation of its research results and has wide influence in the bio industry. In the past five years, it has undertaken more than 200 national-level projects, including those for the National Basic Research Program of China (973 Program) and the key program of the National Natural Science Foundation of China, receiving research funds exceeding 300 million yuan. These has led to five awards for national technical invention and for national scientific and technological progress, and more than 40 scientific research awards at provincial, ministerial, or industry association levels.
To meet the need of building world-class disciplines, we are seeking talented researchers in the fields of food biotechnology, biological and catalytic conversion and enzyme engineering, modern fermentation and systematic metabolic engineering, industrial synthetic biology, and carbohydrate bioengineering, as well as technical support for bioinformatics, high-throughput screening and omics platforms.
We will offer competitive salaries and compensation packages, engaging cultural environment and a platform full of potential in support of rapid development of first-class researchers and our joining the ranks of world-class insitutions.
Recruitment of Leading Talents
1. Recruiting objects
(1) Academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Chinese academy of Engineering;
(2) Winners of the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars;
(3) Outstanding talents and leading talents of the national Ten Thousand Talents Plan;
(4) Those with professorship at a famous university abroad;
(5) Those with outstanding achievements in one’s field of expertise.
Generally, under the age of 50. For academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences or the Chinese Academy of Engineering, the age limit can be relaxed. In good health and good at taking job responsibilities.
2. Compensation packages
Compensation packages are negotiable during the interview for academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences or the Chinese Academy of Engineering. For others:
(1) Salary: 0.8-1.2 million RMB /year;
(2) Settlement allowance: 0.2-0.3 million RMB;
(3) House purchase subsidy: 1-1.5 million RMB;
(4) Research start-up funds: 1-3 million RMB;
(5) Support for equipment purchase: 2-10 million RMB;
(6) Laboratory and office space: 200-500 m2;
(7) Team building support: support with hiring of professors, excellent young PhDs and auxiliary staff for teaching and research as needed. The school actively supports graduate students training and will allocate quota for recruitment of doctoral and master’s students.
The leading talents, in response, should set up work plans and the expected targets once started.
Recruitment of High-level Talents
1. Recruiting objects
(1) Those selected into the “Top Young Talent” support program or the Excellent Young Scientists Fund.
(2) Those with outstanding achievements in the field of expertise.
Generally, less than 45 years old. In good health and good at taking job responsibilities.
2. Compensation packages
Based on the applicant’s academic level and development potential, we will offer a generous remuneration package with a salary of around 500,000 RMB for high-level talents, and the specifics are negotiable. At the same time, we provide competitive research funds, home purchase subsidies and settlement allowance, as well as support for research platform construction and research team building.
Recruitment of Excellent Young Talents
1. Candidates of the national “Ten Thousand Talents Project” (including the Young Talent program), the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars (including the Excellent Young Scientists Fund), and other high-level talent projects;
2. Professors or associate professors at a well-known domestic or foreign university, usually not exceeding 40 years old; Or,
3. Excellent doctoral graduates or postdocs at a well-known domestic or foreign university, usually under 35 years old.
The preference is given to candidates with a doctoral degree from a well-known overseas university or a PhD degree holder with more than one year’s research experience abroad.
Successful candidates will enjoy a corresponding job title according to the university policy. Doctoral lecturers (assistant researchers) shall enjoy the technical level of grade seven. They will receive settlement allowance, house purchase subsidies, research startup funds and other benefits in accordance with the university standard.
Recruitment of Postdoctoral Researchers
In order to further promote research development of the school, providing first-class research service, we are sincerely recruiting postdoctoral researchers based on our actual research needs.
1. Having obtained the doctor’s degree for less than 3 years and under the age of 35;
2. Those who can pass the post-doctoral examination, and during the period of the post, have obtained an associate senior professional title or above after the review; Or have obtained a national grant for natural sciences (excluding those one-year projects) or social sciences, and have published two SCI papers or one SSCI or A&HCI paper (including acceptance) as the first author with Jiangnan University as the first affiliation institution; Or have been selected for the “postdoc innovation talent support scheme” or “Xiang Jiang Scholar Plan” can stay in the school as a faculty after submitting application, gaining recommendation from the postdoc advisor and school approval.
The basic annual salary of postdoctoral researchers is 200,000 RMB per year.
Interested candidates can send a CV to the School of Biotechnology, Jiangnan University.
Contact: Yuhong Wang
Address: School of Biotechnology, Jiangnan University, No.1800 Lihu Avenue, Wuxi city, Jiangsu province, China
Zip code: 214122.