About the team/job
ELIXIR is seeking an experienced Communications Officer to join the dynamic and international team at the ELIXIR Hub in Hinxton, UK.
The post holder will work closely with ELIXIR partners to implement a coordinated communication strategy. They will work closely with communications experts, scientists and developers across ELIXIR Nodes as well as experts in other research infrastructures.
ELIXIR is a distributed research infrastructure for managing the massive volumes of data produced by life science experiments. It is a diverse and growing community of research organisations from 22 European countries that help scientists to store, access, re-use and analyse biological data. Over 220 institutes and 700 scientists and developers are involved in implementing ELIXIR’s work.
Working in the External Relations team, the main purpose of the role is to ensure that our communications, publications, social media and digital presence demonstrates ELIXIR’s progression as a world class research infrastructure. The post holder will support ELIXIR partners in their efforts to ensure a coordinated communication strategy is embedded across Europe. The post holder will take responsibility for engaging with ELIXIR’s user communities to ensure the communications strategy responds to the needs of the scientific community. We are looking for a motivated, flexible self-starter with a proven ability to engage, collaborate and deliver.
- Excellent writing skills and a high level of literacy in English.
- Experience of communicating complex information to a diverse audience.
- Experience in working in an international environment and/or on projects involving people on many sites.
- Familiarity with general communications software including Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).
- Experience of running corporate Twitter and LinkedIn accounts.
- Proactive and persistent in working to gather then communicate relevant information to stakeholders.
- Good networker, able to build useful contacts with journalists and scientists.
You might also have
- Degree in life sciences or journalism/communications that can be applied effectively to the life sciences field.
- Experience of carrying out communications and outreach activities through EU-funded projects.
- Experience of organising public engagement events/activities.
- Knowledge of survey and marketing software and webcast platforms including MailChimp, SurveyMonkey and GoToWebinar.
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else do I need to know
To view a copy of the full job description please click here.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.