Friedrich Schiller University Jena connects: People and ideas, science and business, universities and non university research institutions. Rooted in the heart of Germany and connected throughout the world, the university and its partners shape a lively and productive scientific and economic region.
At the Otto Schott Institute for Materials Research, Chair of Materials Science of the Faculty of Physic and Astronomy of Friedrich Schiller University Jena, a postdoctoral position of a research associate (m/f/d) is to be filled for 40 hours/week as of 15.04.2019 or later.
Research focus for the position is:
Tough hydrogels and materials for soft machines
- Opportunity of further academic qualification (e.g. habilitation)
- Scientific and soft-skill training
- Use of state-of-the-art equipment and infrastructure
- Pleasant working environment in an interdisciplinary and international research team
- Collaboration opportunities with other groups and institutions
- City with high quality of life and pleasant surroundings
- Employee benefits, e.g. capital-building benefits, job ticket (discounts for public transport), company pension scheme (VBL)
- An exciting research field with ample opportunities to employ creativity
- University health promotion and a family-friendly working environment with flexible working hours
- Salary in accordance with the pay scheme for the civil service of the Länder (TV-L) according to previous qualifications and experience up to pay group 13.
- University degree (MSc/diploma) and doctorate in materials science, or polymer physics or physical/organic chemistry
- No more than two years of professional experience after graduation
- Research experience in one or more of the following fields
o Polymer materials science
o Polymer chemistry or physical chemistry with a focus on materials
- Research experience in the field of materials synthesis (polymers, hydrogels, LCEs) and materials characterization
- Experience in conducting seminars, practicals and didactic abilities
- Excellent oral and written English and/or German language skills
- Synthesis, device creation, characterization and understanding (structure-property relationships) of tough hydrogels and materials for soft machines
- Investigation of the interaction of light and fields with the above-mentioned materials
- Development of new, groundbreaking materials concepts
- Teaching of courses (exercises, practicals etc.)
- Participation in the preparation of applications for third-party funding and in project management
- In addition, the applicant is expected to work on a further scientific qualification project, e.g. a habilitation.
The position is initially for 3 years. It is a full time position.
Disabled persons with identical aptitude, skills and professional qualifications will be given
Applications with complete application documents (declaration of motivation, curriculum vitae, list of
publications, summary of research experience, date of availability, as well as the names of three
referees) must be submitted electronically in one PDF document, stating the registration number
56/2019 by 30 March 2019:
Prof. Dr. Klaus D. Jandt
Chair of Materials Science (CMS)
Otto Schott Institute for Materials Research
Friedrich Schiller University
E -mail: email@example.com