HHMI’s Educational Media Group is seeking a highly motivated Production Manager at our headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD. Production Manager will work on both externally and internally produced productions. Work will include managing one or more projects from development to delivery. Projects may include long and short form content as well as outreach, publicity, events and marketing materials. This is a 9 month renewable contract.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- BUSINESS AFFAIRS: Production Manager will create deliverables and contract exhibits. Review and approve third party production company cost reports, bank statements, reconciliation and deliverables.
- PRODUCTION: Production Manager will create and monitor budgets, production plans and permissions to ensure project is on schedule and budget. Assess risks, security and insurance needs of potential hazardous activities and locations. Break down shooting scripts and create efficient and cost-effective field production schedules and budgets. Set up shoot logistics and ensure all permissions are in place. Recruit fixers and consultants to advise on location and shoot set up and manage customs clearances, visas, carnets, country permits.
- POST PRODUCTION: Production Manager will review and screen all cuts, trailers and web content and provide feedback related to clearances and production management issues. Review and approve all deliverable and legal binder documents and complete the final inventory of each production. Manage delivery of master program and other deliverables to broadcasters and distributors.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, or related experience along with at least five (5) years of experience in television working for an independent production company and a broadcaster as a Production Manager or Line Producer.
- Extensive experience creating and managing budgets.
- Experience delivering content to PBS.
- Practical knowledge of the pre-production, production and post-production process.
- Experience managing teams of 3 or more.
- Extensive experience managing and setting up international, domestic shoots, and studio shoots. Natural history, medical and science documentary film experience a plus.
- Experience working for a broadcaster.
- Experience with theatrical releases.
- Understanding of production insurance and risk assessments.
- Substantial understanding of rights and clearances as they pertain to appearance releases, location releases, acquired footage and music licenses.
- Experience navigating license agreements, permits and an understanding of public domain materials and due diligence.
- Experience negotiating rates with production staff, vendors and crew.
- Excellent understanding of network deliverables.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat and Mac environments
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to effectively interact with people at all levels.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Effective negotiations skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to handle all types of situations.