Postdoctoral Fellow Position
The Department of Epidemiology, Human Genetics, and Environmental Sciences (EHGES) at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) School of Public Health is seeking a full-time postdoctoral research fellow with experience in genetic epidemiology or statistical genetics. The individual hired will work on funded research projects with Paul de Vries, PhD and Alanna Morrison, PhD managing and analyzing genomic data in relation to cardiovascular phenotypes. The context for these analyses is the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study, as well as large-scale consortia such as Cohorts for Heart and Aging Research in Genomic Epidemiology (CHARGE) and the Trans-Omics for Precision Medicine (TOPMed) program. Genomic data will include whole-genome sequencing data and DNA methylation data, among others. Primary duties and responsibilities include data analysis, attending research meetings and conference calls, assisting with grant applications, publishing papers in peer-reviewed journals, and presenting at scientific meetings.
• Must be a graduate of a PhD program with experience in genetic epidemiology / statistical genetics
• Must have a strong publication record, with multiple publications as first author
• Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Must be comfortable working in a Linux environment
• Must be adept at analyzing data using R or an alternative programming language
• Have experience with consortia-based genetic epidemiology research
• Have experience in the analysis of cardiovascular phenotypes
• Have a track record of successfully obtaining funding
• Be able to work independently and collaboratively to meet deadlines
• Have strong organizational and prioritization skills
Electronic submission of application materials via email is required. Interested applicants should submit: (1) a letter of application, (2) a CV, and (3) contact information for at least two professional or academic references to Paul de Vries, PhD at Paul.S.deVries@uth.tmc.edu and to Regina Fisher at Regina.A.Fisher@uth.tmc.edu. The vacancy will remain open to new applications until filled.
This is a dynamic, challenging position with a great deal of career potential for a motivated individual. For more information, please visit the EHGES website at GO.UTH.EDU/EHGES or contact us with any questions at the above email addresses.