HHMI BioInteractive supports science educators with resources to inspire and motivate their students to learn, engage in the scientific process, and care about the living world. The BioInteractive website provides award-winning multimedia resources and activities for the classroom, all of which are free of charge. Our group also conducts in-person professional learning workshops at conferences, in partnership with school systems, and on college campuses. These workshops model classroom implementation of BioInteractive resources using evidence-based teaching strategies that promote student-centered, active learning.
We are seeking a Science Education Fellow to collaborate in our efforts to broaden access to our existing educational resources and in the creation of new teaching materials in English and Spanish. The ideal candidate will have a strong science background, superb communication skills in both English and Spanish, expertise writing educational content in both languages, and a strong desire to contribute to excellence in science education for all students. The Science Education Fellow will report to the Program Officer for Higher Education & Spanish Language Initiatives. This is a full time 1-year position with the possibility of a 1-year extension, located at HHMI headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate, review, and edit the work of freelance translators to grow the library of HHMI BioInteractive teaching materials in Spanish, with special attention to preserving the scientific accuracy, meaning, and style of the original English-language content.
- Translate teaching materials, promotional content, and other science education content from English to Spanish.
- Collaborate with other content developers to create original teaching materials, including videos, interactive multimedia, and classroom activities in Spanish and English.
- Coordinate with the Instructional Materials Manager to maintain coherence in formatting, ADA compliance, curricular alignments, and content updates between the English and the Spanish HHMI BioInteractive collections.
- Generate, post, and manage content in HHMI BioInteractive’s Spanish-language social media channels, including Facebook and Twitter.
- Write, publish, and manage the monthly HHMI BioInteractive Spanish-language newsletter.
- Contribute to HHMI BioInteractive outreach efforts with schools, districts, educators, and other stakeholders, including presenting at science education conferences and on school campuses in the US and abroad.
- Collaborate with other team members on evaluation projects to assess the impact of HHMI BioInteractive’s content and professional development efforts.
- Attend workshops, conferences, and symposia to stay up to date on research and trends in science education and relevant scientific fields.
- Contribute as part of a team with multiple overlapping roles.
- PhD. degree in the life sciences is required.
- Postdoctoral research experience is a plus, but is not required.
- Demonstrated experience writing or editing scientific or science education content in English and Spanish.
- Demonstrated experience translating scientific or science education content from English to Spanish.
- Minimum 2 years of experience teaching at the high school or college level (including as a teaching assistant).
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be fluent in both English and Spanish including scientific terminology.
- Excellent communication skills, written, verbal, and interpersonal.
- Strong computer, office technology, and internet resource skills.
- Strong organization skills.
- Interest in using social media to communicate science education content and build networks and communities is a plus.
Please include a cover letter explaining your interest in this position.
Qualified candidates will be asked to translate a short text from English to Spanish as part of the pre-selection process.