The School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health conducts research and education in the broader areas of health, environment, energy and materials.
Biocatalytic processes for green chemistry
The field combines design and engineering of enzymes with biocatalytic processes for green-chemistry applications. Biocatalysis uses enzymes for conversion of raw material to value added products. Green chemistry is defined as the field of chemistry and chemical engineering that focusses on the production of chemicals through sustainable processes.
The position concerns both research, supervision of PhD students and post-docs, as well as teaching at the BSc, Msc and PhD level:
- Set-up and management of an independent research team on biocatalysis for green chemistry that is able to complement and collaborate with the ongoing activities within the School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH Royal Institute of Technology. This includes the initiation of new research projects, acquisition of funding, setting up collaborations, training and coaching of young researchers at MSc, PhD and post-doc level, financial management and maintaining a safe, stimulating and healthy work environment.
- Training and teaching, including: coordination, teaching and continued development of a BSc- or MSc level course, such as Biotechnology, Biochemistry 1 or 2, Molecular Enzymology or Biocatalysis. This also includes supervision of MSc students during their 6 month thesis projects, as well as teaching and course development at the PhD level.
- Representation of KTH, the CBH school and the Department of Industrial Biotechnology through research presentations for a general audience and in national and international networking communities.
The assistant professor will be given opportunity to develop their independence as researcher and gain accreditation that may allow them to take other teaching positions with higher eligibility requirements (see Chapter 4, Section 12 a of the Higher Education Ordinance). Following application, the assistant professor can apply for promotion to associate professor in accordance with Chapter 4, Section 12 c of the Higher Education Ordinance.
An individual who has obtained a PhD or equivalent research expertise is qualified for appointment as an assistant professor. Candidates who met those qualifications within five years prior to expiration of the application period should be prioritized. Other candidates may also be considered if there are extraordinary grounds for doing so. Extraordinary grounds refer to illness, parental leave or similar circumstances.
Grounds of assessments
The assessment criteria for appointment as an assistant professor at KTH are stated in KTH’s appointments procedure section 1.3, and apply in relation to the employment profile laid down.
Of highest importance is that the applicant has
- Documented and solid knowledge in enzyme technology and biocatalytic processes.
- Proven scientific skill through scientific publications, conference contributions and research collaborations in the field of application-inspired fundamental research in biocatalysis and green chemistry.
Of second highest importance is that the applicant has
- Interest, insight into and potential regarding the pedagogical development within the subject area.
- Potential for development as an independent scientist and teacher in the subject area, as well as the ability to establish, renew and develop the current research area.
It is also important that the applicant has
- Experience as a post-doctoral researcher in another, preferably international, research environment than the environment of the applicant’s PhD research. For applied research, high-quality scientific experience from industry can be just as valuable as a traditional post-doctoral residency at another university.
- Interest in and insights regarding leadership in academia, collaboration with the surrounding society, as well as awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality.
- Demonstrated administrative skills.
Special grounds of assessment for promotion to associate professor
When assessing applications for promotion to associate professor, the applicant’s ability to independently initiate and carry out research of high academic quality, published in international publications and conference proceedings, and the applicant’s ability to obtain financing for research operations will be assessed. Of highest importance is the applicant’s ability to independently establish new collaborations and research specializations. It is also of highest importance that the applicant has displayed teaching and supervising expertise.
Trade union representatives
Contact information to trade union representatives can be found at KTH:s web page.
Your application should follow KTH:s CV template for employment of teachers. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete according to the requirements in the ad and CV template.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Log into KTH recruitment system in order to apply to this position.
Time limitation:The appointment is for an indefinite term, but no more than six years, and may be extended if, due to the teacher’s absence due to sick leave, parental leave or other special grounds, more time is required to reach the objectives of the appointment. However, the total appointment period may not exceed eight years. The appointment is part of the Tenure Track system at KTH and the assistant professor may apply for promotion to tenured associate professor.
For more information regarding KTH’s assessment, see Appointments procedure at KTH
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH’s work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about Processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.