Chemistry and Biochemistry: Biomolecular Electron Microscopy Facility Manager (Open until filled. Apply by 3/7/19)
Open date: February 5th, 2019 Next review date: March 7th, 2019
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee. Final date: November 30th, 2019
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry (https://www.chemistry.ucsc.edu) at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) invites applications for a Biomolecular Electron Microscopy Facility Manager. The selected applicant will work under the direction of Professor Seth Rubin to manage instrumentation in the Division of Physical and Biological Science’s electron microscopy facility and provide oversight and assistance to an extensive user base.
Scientific responsibilities will include participating in structural biology research towards macromolecular structure determination in collaboration with faculty and other researchers in the Physical & Biological Sciences Division, contributing to grant writing, and coordinating of scientific interactions among other research groups in the SF Bay Area. Facility management responsibilities will include maintaining equipment, coordinating repairs, training, scheduling, and overseeing data collection, processing, and storage. Training activities will involve assisting students, postdoctoral researchers and other professionals with sample preparation, experimental design, and data analysis. The position will require the incumbent to employ excellent interpersonal skills; successfully troubleshoot experiments; perform tasks in an organized, methodical, and analytical manner; and work both independently and as a part of a team of faculty, staff, and students.
Applicants with doctoral degrees in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Associate Specialist – Specialist
Starting at $56,400 annually, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• A Master’s degree (or equivalent foreign degree) in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related field and six years of post-baccalaureate research experience at the time of application.
• A minimum of four years’ research experience (which could have been obtained while earning a Master’s degree or after) in determining macromolecular structure using single particle cryo-electron microscopy, including sample preparation and screening, data collection and processing, and structure determination and refinement.
• A demonstrated record of scientific publications in peer-reviewed research journals and presentations at major scientific meetings.
As soon as possible after the initial review of the applications.
DURATION OF POSITION
Initial appointment will be full-time for two years, with the possibility of reappointment. Should the hiring unit propose reappointment; a review to assess performance will be conducted. Reappointment is also contingent upon the availability of funding.
Applications are accepted via the UCSC Academic Recruit online system. All documents and materials must be submitted as PDFs.
APPLY AT https://recruit.ucsc.edu/apply/JPF00687
Please refer to Position # JPF00687-19T in all correspondence.
• Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position (required)
• Curriculum vitae that includes a list of publications. Note that the list must demonstrate a record of authored, scientific publications in peer-reviewed research journals and presentations at major scientific meetings (required)
Applications must include three confidential letters of recommendation*. Please note that your references, or dossier service, will submit their confidential letters directly to the UC Recruit System.
*All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. For any reference letter provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service, career center), direct the author to UCSC’s confidentiality statement at http://apo.ucsc.edu/confstm.htm.
Full consideration will be given to applications completed by March 7, 2019. Applications received after this date will be considered only if the position has not been filled.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees. Inquiries regarding the University’s equal employment opportunity policies may be directed to the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064 or by phone at (831) 459-2686.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check (see https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify). More information is available at the APO website (see https://apo.ucsc.edu/policy/capm/104.000%20.html) or call (831) 459-4300.
UCSC is a smoke & tobacco-free campus.
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the Academic Personnel Office at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org (831) 459-4300.
VISIT THE APO WEB SITE AT http://apo.ucsc.edu
Santa Cruz, CA
• Cover Letter – Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position
• Curriculum Vitae – Curriculum vitae that includes a list of publications. Note that the list must demonstrate a record of authored, scientific publications in peer-reviewed research journals and presentations at major scientific meetings
• 3 letters of reference required
How to apply
• Create an ApplicantID
• Provide required information and documents
• If any, provide required reference information Get started: press Apply Now
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.