Are you a scientist with a keen eye for detail? Would you like to play a part in ensuring high standards of quality for one of the world’s leading scientific publishers?
Nature Communications, an open access journal that publishes high-quality research from all areas of the natural sciences, has a vacancy for a Scientific Proofreader.
- Provide the final editorial proof quality check for articles being published in Nature Communications, according to the guidelines provided and house style.
- Assess the appropriateness of author changes at proof stage, and implement them correctly if applicable.
- Liaise with editors and authors regarding issues and queries arising for articles at proof stage.
- Checking manuscripts that will be accepted to the journal to ensure that they comply with house style and provide sufficient scientific detail for readers. Liaising with the handling Editor to communicate these requirements to the author.
- Liaise with production editors to troubleshoot concerns and problems arising.
- Support the editors in preparation and publication of formal amendments for Nature Communications.
- Provide feedback on recurrent problems found on proof to improve service.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- First degree in a science subject.
- Broad understanding of science and science reporting.
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate outstanding attention to detail along with time management and organisational skills.
- An ability to work to fast-moving deadlines is essential.
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate good decision making skills, especially when presented with conflicting information or interacting with others with differing priorities.
- Excellent communication skills — including a strong grasp of English language, spelling and grammar — are essential.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Wide intellectual interest in scientific editing and the production process.
- Previous experience preparing, editing, or proofreading material for publication.
- Understanding of scientific journal production.
To apply please upload a copy of your CV and covering letter, stating your salary expectations.