Institute of Coastal Research
Area of research:
Geoinformatics scientist (m/f/d) for the Helmholtz Coastal Data Center (HCDC)
Discipline data management
code no. 2019/KB 1
The place of employment is Geesthacht.
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht in Geesthacht, near Hamburg, and in Teltow, near Berlin, conducts materials and coastal research. You can find more information at www.hzg.de.
We are looking for a geoinformatics scientist (m/f/d) in the area of scientific data management in our Institute of Coastal Research, starting at the next possible date. Currently, the position is initially limited to 2 years.
The Helmholtz Coastal Data Center (HCDC) establishes a central digital infrastructure for acquisition, processing, long-term archiving and distribution of data and research results of the Institute of Coastal Research and of associated national and international coastal research partners. A new department is being established at the Institute of Coastal Research. As part of this department, you will help shape essential parts of the infrastructure that will be used to provide model, observational and sample data to the scientific community and the public.
You will have the following tasks in the team:
- participation in the buildup of the Helmholtz Coastal Data Center (HCDC)
- consolidation of scientific data for the HCDC portal implementation, development and maintenance of innovative software solutions for various applications
- realization of requirement analyses, system designs as well as software specifications
- creation of database queries
- documentation and publishing of solutions and results
- independent and active co-creation and development of methods and technologies adopted for HCDC operations
- successfully completed university studies in Computer Science, Mathematics, Geosciences or another natural science
- ability to think analytically as well as an understanding of complex structures
- distinct communicative skills and capacity for teamwork
- good knowledge of English or German (speaking and writing)
- extensive knowledge of Web-Services and OGC-Tools
- competence in handling relational database systems
- experience with Linux systems and shell scripting
- experience with Esri technologies
- geosciences background or inclination
For further questions, please contact Prof. Dr. Kay-Christian Emeis (email@example.com) and Ulrike Kleeberg (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We offer you:
- multinational work environment with over 950 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure including modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and these equals disable peoples equally suitable for a position will be given preference in accordance with statutory provisions.
Geesthacht is located 35 km southeast of Hamburg in Northern Germany. Its location combines proximity to Germany?s second largest city and its cultural offerings with easy access to numerous outdoor activities in a beautiful setting. We are a family-friendly employer and operate our own kindergarten on campus.
Please send your application indicating job offer code no. 2019/KB 1 by email to our human resources (email@example.com).
Closing date for applications is March 12th, 2019.