Institute of Coastal Research
Area of research:
Metadata administrator (m/f/d) for the Helmholtz Coastal Data Center (HCDC)
Discipline data management
code no. 2019/KB 2
The place of employment is Geesthacht.
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht in Geesthacht, near Hamburg, and in Teltow, near Berlin, conducts materials and coastal research. You can find more information at www.hzg.de.
We are looking for a metadata administrator (m/f/d) in the area of scientific data management in our Institute of Coastal Research, starting at the next possible date. . The position is initially limited to 2 years.
The Helmholtz Coastal Data Center (HCDC) establishes a central digital infrastructure for acquisition, processing, long-term archiving and distribution of data and research results of the Institute of Coastal Research and of associated national and international coastal research partners. A new department is being established at the Institute of Coastal Research. As part of this department you will merge and further develop the existing subsystems to one HCDC metadata system to implement the joint data portal and invites you to join.
You will have the following tasks in the team:
- participation in the buildup of the Helmholtz Coastal Data Center (HCDC)
- administration and merging of the preexisting metadata into the new metadata system InGrid
- adaptation and documentation of existing workflows for the automated generation of metadata
- extension of the metadata profiles by scientifically required information such as ?Standard Operating Procedures?
- connection to external metadata systems
- successfully completed university studies in Computer Science, Mathematics, Geosciences or another natural science
- profound knowledge and experiences with XML data structures
- ability to think analytically as well as an understanding of complex structures
- distinct communication skills and team-orientation
- good knowledge of English and German (oral and writing)
- profound knowledge and experience with metadata standards (e.g. ISO191xx, INSPIRE)
- experience with OGC standards and services
- good knowledge of databases (e.g. Oracle, MS SQL Server)
- experience in the usage of geodata infrastructures
For further questions, please contact Prof. Dr. Kay-Christian Emeis (email@example.com) and Dr. Gisbert Breitbach (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We offer you:
- multinational work environment with over 950 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure including modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and these equals disable peoples equally suitable for a position will be given preference in accordance with statutory provisions.
Geesthacht is located 35 km southeast of Hamburg in Northern Germany. Its location combines proximity to Germany?s second largest city and its cultural offerings with easy access to numerous outdoor activities in a beautiful setting. We are a family-friendly employer and operate our own kindergarten on campus.
Please send your application indicating job offer code no. 2019/KB 2 by email to our human resources (email@example.com).
Closing date for applications is March 12th, 2019.