About the team/job
We are seeking a Database Administrator to join the Database Team of EMBL-EBI which provides central database administration and engineering support to the Services and Research groups at EMBL-EBI.
The Database Team provides day-to-day Database Administration support for the production, development, test database environments across the supported database technologies MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Vertica and MS SQL Server including database performance tuning and query optimization. The large central database environment is deployed over a Virtual Infrastructure and incorporates multi-Terabyte databases across geographically distributed production, public-facing and disaster recovery data centres.
On a day to day basis our Database team provides:
- Database software installation and configuration;
- High availability;
- Data replication solutions;
- Automation via scripting, configuration management, processes and standards;
- Back-up and recovery;
- Disaster recovery;
- Performance tuning;
- Query Optimisation;
- Performance and errors troubleshooting;
- Data provisioning
- Monitoring, reporting and keeping online documentation up-to-date;
- Support the database and application developers from the EMBL-EBI service teams and collaborate with the IT systems administrators of the EMBL-EBI IT infrastructure.
You will join us with existing skills and experience in order to conduct the activities conducted by this team and described above. The advertised post initially requires MySQL and MongoDB experience but over the duration of this EBI post you may be requested to support other DBMS technologies among those officially supported by our team. We will train you as appropriate.
You will carry out administrative duties as required to do so by the Database Team Coordinator.
Required skills and experience:
- You will have a degree in Computer Science or an equivalent discipline
- You will be able to demonstrate proven experience for at least 3 years or more in a role with similar responsibilities
- Supporting production systems in an academic or commercial setting within a medium to large sized heterogeneous IT environment
- Administration, configuration and tuning of MySQL
- Administration, configuration and tuning of MongoDB
- Experience with one or more among SQL, Python, Shell
- Experience and operation of databases on Linux RedHat or equivalent within a virtualised environment
- You will have a solid understanding of enterprise IT Infrastructures (including compute, storage and networking)
- The ability to work within a team, good interpersonal and communication skills and excellent working knowledge of English are required to succeed in this job.
You will also need to have a service-oriented attitude, be well-organised and able to work to deadlines.
You might also have
Desired skills and experience include:
- Experience with multi-Terabyte databases
- Experience with Graph, Elastic database administration
- Experience with other NoSQL databases
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience with one or more among Nagios, PMM, Puppet, Foreman
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else do I need to know
To view a copy of the full job description please click here
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.