Faculty of Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences
Department of Molecular Sciences
An appointment as a senior lecturer in microbiology is vacant at the Department of Molecular Sciences, SLU, Uppsala. The department has approximately 110 employees and together with two other departments forms an inspiring research environment at the BioCenter at the Ultuna campus in Uppsala. Here you will find expertise in plant biology, mycology, plant pathology, microbiology, food science, calculation-based genetics, chemistry and biotechnology and competitive infrastructure such as plant-growing facilities, advanced microscopy and molecular biology, x-ray and NMR. The department conducts research, teaching and environmental monitoring in the field of inorganic, physical and organic chemistry, biochemistry, natural product chemistry, food science and microbiology. Visit us at https://www.slu.se/en/departments/molecular-sciences/
The area of this position covers microbiology, with focus on isolation, characterization and application of microorganisms within research areas such as food, bioenergy and green chemistry, for sustainable society development.
The position provides room for own research and research management of at least 35%, with great opportunities to become involved in innovative, applied projects within SLU’s activity areas.
The holder is expected to:
- develop and lead teaching in microbiology at basic, advanced and postgraduate level
- contribute to the development of the postgraduate education subject biology with a focus on microbiology and supervise doctoral students on the subject
- develop and lead successful research in the subject
- develop and maintain national and international networks with researchers, industry, and society in general
- communicate on ongoing research and research results
- actively apply for external research funding
- be able to teach in Swedish within two years.
The applicant must
- have completed a doctoral degree or have equivalent scientific competence
- be scientifically proficient in the subject of the employment
- have a good knowledge of English, as well as experience of teaching in English
- be pedagogically skilled and have undergone university education in pedagogics corresponding to about 10 weeks of full-time studies (or have acquired equivalent competence in other ways)
- have demonstrated good ability to integrate research and a scientific approach in pedagogical work.
As assessment grounds for employment, first and foremost the level of skills that are required for eligibility for employment will be addressed.
When assessing the scientific skills, consideration will be given to
- completed research efforts and ongoing research
- the ability to independently initiate and conduct innovative research
- experience of applying for and obtaining external research grants.
When assessing the pedagogical skills, consideration will be given to
- experience in planning, implementation and evaluation of teaching
- experience of supervision and examination at doctoral level
- the ability to integrate research and a scientific approach in pedagogical work.
Furthermore, skills will be considered in ability to
- develop and manage activities and staff at the university
- communicate and collaborate
- cooperate with the surrounding society
- inform about ongoing research and development work.
Equal attention is devoted to the evaluation of the pedagogical skills as to the examination of the scientific skills.
Final date of application:
Place of work:
At the Department of Molecular Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Form of employment:
To be negotiated
Use the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or associate senior lecturer at SLU as guide when you fill in your application.
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representatives:
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) develops the understanding and sustainable use and management of biological natural resources. The university ranks well internationally within its subject areas. SLU is a research-intensive university that also offers unique degree programmes in for example rural development and natural resource management, environmental economics, animal science and landscape architecture.
SLU has just over 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and a turnover of SEK 3 billion. The university has invested heavily in a modern, attractive environment on its campuses in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala.
SLU is an equal opportunity employer.
URL to this pagehttps://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/jobs-vacancies/?rmpage=job&rmjob=1886&rmlang=UK