Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time, fixed-term position as a Research Fellow with the VistaMilk SFI Research Centre at the Data Science Institute of the National University of Ireland, Galway.
This position is funded by Science Foundation Ireland and is available from 1st April 2019 to contract end date of 31st March 2022.
The VistaMilk SFI Research Centre at NUI Galway’s Data Science Institute is part of the broader VistaMilk SFI Research Centre network, a unique collaboration between agrifood and ICT research institutes and leading Irish/multinational agrifood and ICT companies. Funded by Science Foundation Ireland and the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, VistaMilk's aim is to be a world-leading SFI Research Centre for precision pasture-based dairying. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to supervise and co-supervise Master and PhD students. The candidate will contribute to ongoing research on a collaborative basis with other researchers within the VistaMilk SFI Research Centre.
The successful candidate will be expected to perform a leading role in research, supervision and research group management. They will work with the lead investigator in supervising a team focusing on key research challenges in the area of blockchain and DLT for agriculture, including secure supply chains for the dairy sector with high levels of traceability, accountability and scalability. The candidate will be knowledgeable in established and emerging distributed systems and multi-agent systems.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Carry out their own research, demonstrate leadership through collaborations with junior researchers, and develop their own academic career
- Assist the group leader in the supervision and development of the research group
- Actively support the acquisition of additional funding for the group and the centre
- Contribute to the dissemination of the group’s and centre’s research activities
- Make significant contributions to ongoing initiatives within the VistaMilk SFI Research Centre, the Data Science Institute, and the College of Engineering and Informatics at NUI Galway
- Collaborate extensively with relevant groups and projects within the centre
- Collaborate with industry as part of industry research partnerships and with international networks
- Participate as a member of the team in a collegial way, assisting in the definition and realisation of the scientific goals and vision of the centre
- When required, support technology transfer into the community and businesses through demonstrators and international cooperations
- Support the group leadership and centre directorship with administrative and group/centre development tasks.
- A PhD in Computer Science with postdoctoral experience on the topic of blockchain
- A track record of internationally leading research on the topic of blockchain
- Demonstrated ability to express a clear research vision on the topic of blockchain
- Proven technical ability to realise/develop/implement such a vision
- Demonstrated understanding and initial track record of raising research funding
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills
- Willingness and ability to supervise students and junior researchers
- Excellent skills in problem solving, data analytics and programming.
- Demonstrated organisational skills, especially through contribution to the organisation of scientific events such as workshops and tutorials
- Experience and understanding in external, non-expert communication, including through media and social media
- Strong technical expertise in DLT, distributed systems, multi-agent systems, cybersecurity, Python and R.
Salary: €53,776 to €58,596 per annum.
Start date: Position is available from 1st April 2019.
Continuing Professional Development/Training:
Researchers at NUI Galway are encouraged to avail of a range of training and development opportunities designed to support their personal career development plans.
Further information on research and working at NUI Galway is available on Research at NUI Galway
For information on moving to Ireland please see www.euraxess.ie
NB: Garda Síochána vetting is a requirement for this post (as appropriate to Child Protection Policy)
Applications to include a covering letter, CV,and the contact details of three referees should be sent, via e-mail (in word or PDF only) to John Breslin, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put reference number NUIG-036-19 in subject line of e-mail application.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00 pm on 7th March 2019.
Interviews are planned to be held on 20th March 2019.
All positions are recruited in line with Open, Transparent, Merit (OTM) and Competency based recruitment
National University of Ireland, Galway is an equal opportunities employer.