The University of Konstanz has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative since 2007.
Science Manager of the Cluster of Excellence "Centre for the Advanced Study of Collective Behaviour”
(Full-time, maximum salary bracket E 14 TV-L)
Reference number 2019/021. The expected starting date is as soon as possible. It is a temporary position for seven years; a contract extension may be possible, subject to the continued funding of the cluster. In principle, this position can be divided into two half-time positions.
The Cluster of Excellence “Centre for the Advanced Study of Collective Behaviour” will create a global hotspot for the integrated study of collective behaviour across a wide range of species and scales of organisation. With English as the working language, it will be a global hub for scientists seeking to create a synergistic, interdisciplinary environment for the study of collective behaviour. As a collaboration between the University of Konstanz and the co-located Max Planck Institute for Ornithology, it partners with institutes including the Yale Centre for Network Science, Yale University, and the Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Berlin.
To learn more, visit: https://www.exc.uni-konstanz.de/collective-behaviour/
The role of the Science Manager will be to work closely with the Board to direct the Centre’s strategic vision in interdisciplinary, quantitative research, as well as to foster high-quality research programs, to provide outstanding operational management of research, and to help guide the Centre’s scientific community to excellence and impact.
- Managing scientific research in a complex organization with diverse programs.
- Maintaining and strengthening the culture of cross-discipline collaboration with conferences, summer schools, presentations.
- Liaising between the cluster’s managing board, the Rectorate and the relevant university bodies.
- Acting as a point of contact for ethical and legal issues, and coordinating with the animal experimentation lab (Tierversuchsanstalt) and the regional authority (Regierungspräsidium Freiburg).
- You are a university graduate with a doctoral degree in biology or a related ﬁeld.
- You have worked as a science manager in large project networks or research teams.
- You enjoy developing solutions for different structural and data requirements.
- You are ﬂuent in English.
- You work well in a team, are ﬂexible.
We offer you
- An interesting and challenging job with a wide range of responsibilities at a young, family-friendly university with a strong research proﬁle.
- Flexibility to organize your own working hours and the content of your work.
- Opportunities for lifelong learning and further professional development.
- Salary according to the tariff of TV-L (up to group 14).
If you would like to know more, please contact Professor Oliver Deussen +49 7531 88-2778 firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that is free from discrimination and provides equal opportunities as well as a good balance between university and family life. To ﬁnd out how the University of Konstanz supports working couples through its dual career programme, please visit: http://www.uni-konstanz.de/dcc. Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualiﬁed (contact + 49 7531 88–4016).
Please submit your application with the usual documents by 28 February 2019 using our online job portal.