OIST is an international research university located on a subtropical southern island of Japan where English is used as the official language of business and instruction, and majority of students, researchers, and faculty are from outside Japan.
One research technician position is available to engage in research support activities in the Nucleic Acid Chemistry and Engineering Unit headed by Prof. Yohei Yokobayashi at OIST. The group is engaged in investigations of functional nucleic acids at the interface of chemistry and biology.
LOCATION: 1919?1 Tancha, Onna?son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
RESPONSIBILITIES: The research technician will support research in the Nucleic Acid Chemistry and Engineering Unit at OIST. Responsibilities include: 1) preparation and stocking of reagents and media, 2) performing routine biochemical and molecular biological experiments (e.g. Sanger sequencing) to support ongoing research, 3) performing routine laboratory maintenance tasks such as processing laboratory wastes and maintaining laboratory instruments, 4) depending on the candidate’s experience and interests, participate in Unit research.
QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates with B.S. or M.S. in chemistry or biology are preferred, but others with relevant experiences will also be considered. Solid communication skills in English, and good organizational and record-keeping skills are required.
TERM: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year, with the possibility renewal.
STARTING DATE: Around June 2019 (negotiable)
WORKING HOURS: 09:00-17:30 (Mon-Fri)
COMPENSATION: In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation.
- Relocation, housing, and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance, worker’s accident compensation insurance
- Extensive support for international scholars and employees to adapt to life in Okinawa, including assistance with relocation, childcare, and healthcare.
SUBMISSION DOCUMENTS: Please submit the following documents in English or Japanese in PDF files to email@example.com.
1. Cover letter
2. Curriculum Vitae along with the contact information for two or more references
3. Brief summary of current and previous research, if any (optional)
APPLICATION DUE: Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
EMAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org