Pharmaron is a premier R&D service provider supporting the life science industry. Founded in 2003, Pharmaron has invested in its people and facilities having established diverse drug R&D service capabilities, ranging from synthetic, medicinal and analytical chemistry, biology, DMPK, pharmacology, drug safety assessment, radiochemistry and isotopically labelled metabolism, chemical & pharmaceutical development to clinical development, including applications of 14C microtracer AMS technology. With operations in China, US and UK staffed by over 6000 employees, Pharmaron has an excellent track record in the delivery of R&D solutions to its partners in North America, Europe, Japan and China.
Pharmaron Drug Discovery Services Europe, Hoddesdon, UK
Pharmaron acquired the Hoddesdon campus, consisting of several purpose built scientific and administrative buildings together with a purpose built conference area, from MSD in 2017. The Research building has more than 5,000 m2 of premier R&D space and in addition to the newly formed drug discovery group, houses an established Process and Analytical Chemistry team. The Pharmaron UK Drug Discovery team provides world-class drug discovery leadership to our partners in the life-science industry. As trusted collaborators, and in synergy with the unique capabilities and resources of the global Pharmaron group, our science teams aim to create small-molecule preclinical candidates of exceptional quality. Pharmaron UK is currently undergoing a period of growth and expansion with the construction of a new laboratory containing 40 fumehoods and as a result we are looking for lab based medicinal chemists at all levels to join our team.
Successful candidates will have a strong background in synthetic and/or medicinal chemistry providing expert practical synthetic chemistry to project teams running small molecule drug discovery projects. Candidates at higher levels will take responsibility to lead medicinal chemistry optimization for a series or may operate as the lead medicinal chemist for a project. The successful candidate will also demonstrate ambition and the desire to grow and develop with the department.
- MSc or PhD in Synthetic or Medicinal Chemistry.
- Demonstrate excellence in theoretical and practical synthetic chemistry.
- For experienced lab based medicinal chemistry, an excellent knowledge of medicinal chemistry design principles, including structure-based drug design and the influence of physiochemical properties.
- Strong scientific track record.
- Excellent communication; both verbal and written.
- Team player.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Contributing to the research team by synthesising key intermediates and small molecule drug candidates as well as developing new synthetic methods when required.
- Carrying out purification and characterisation of compounds.
- Maintaining clear and accurate records of experiments in laboratory notebooks in accordance with company policy.
- Supporting the preparation of IP documents with chemistry examples.
- Maintaining high synthetic chemistry productivity.
- May have oversight of chemists in China.
The position is full time and permanent. Hours of work are 37.5 per week Monday – Friday. Annual holiday entitlement is 23 days a year plus Bank Holidays. The company offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefits package including a generous company pension scheme.
If you feel you are the right person for this role, then please apply with a CV and a covering letter stating reference: Drug Discovery Position.