Institute of Epigenetics and Stem Cells
Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
Contract time limit:
As German Research Center for Environmental Health, Helmholtz Zentrum München pursues the goal of developing personalized medical approaches for the prevention and therapy of major common diseases such as diabetes mellitus, allergies and lung diseases. To achieve this, it investigates the interaction of genetics, environmental factors and lifestyle.
Epigenetics research is central to understanding environment-genome interactions, which in turn is fundamental to advancing environmental health research, the key focus area of Helmholtz Zentrum München (HMGU). The strength and unique nature of epigenetics research conducted at HMGU is its broad range of research areas such as cellular plasticity and stem cell research, diabetes research, computational biology, metabolism, modeling of single cell fate decisions, systems biology, development, immunology and epidemiology, as well as the combination of basic and translational research approaches.
As part of the environmental health research of Helmholtz Zentrum München, the Management and Strategy Office for Epigenetics & Stem Cell Research develops and coordinates new initiatives and programs to position the broad field of epigenetics internationally (further information at www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/epigeneticshmgu). The scientific coordinator will be part of an international team shaping the epigenetics field beyond Munich.
For our research team we are currently looking for aScientific Coordinator for Epigenetics (m/w/d)
The scientific coordinator will ensure the overall coordination of activities of the epigenetics@hmgu community and provide scientific support for the founding institutes: Institute of Epigenetics and Stem Cells (IES) as well as Institute of Functional Epigenetics (IFE).
Specific responsibilities are
• Coordination of the International Internship Programme in Epigenetics, Cellular Plasticity and Stem Cells: Ensuring international visibility, selecting and recruiting students as well as ensuring their integration on campus
• Supporting the founding institutes regarding fellowship applications and grants
• Regular reporting on activities
• Social Media and website management: writing news pieces, highlights and articles as well monitoring and updating scientific publications
• Event management: Organisation of seminars, community meetings and conferences
• Outreach activities: Establishing new international networks and partnerships
• Regular participation in lab meetings as the community representative
• PhD degree in the Life Sciences, with a broad knowledge of fundamental biology and a particular interest in epigenetics
• International work experience in a scientific environment
• Experience in scientific project management
• Knowledge of concepts and instruments for the promotion of young scientists is highly desirable
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Proactive engagement in a team-oriented work environment
• Friendly and approachable, with excellent communication and personal skills
• Fluency in English is essential
• Knowledge of content management systems (Typo3) desirable
At the Helmholtz Zentrum München, you can contribute together with leading researchers to the investigation of the development, prevention and treatment of environmental diseases such as diabetes, chronic lung diseases and allergies. In order to further promote your professional development, we offer extensive and targeted research training and career programmes. We support the reconciliation between work and private life with flexible working time models, occupational health management, day care facility for children, a childcare subsidy, Elder Care, as well as other counseling and support services.
Remuneration and benefits are in accordance with the collective agreement for the public service (TV EntgO Bund).
The position is (initially) limited to two years.
As a holder of the Total E-Quality Award, we promote equality of opportunity. Applications from women are welcome. Qualified applicants with physical disabilities will be given preference.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive online application until 2019/03/04.