Announcement of post-doc scholarship at the Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund Stem Cell Center and Division of Neurosurgery
Reprogramming Strategies in Malignant Brain Tumours
Reference number: V 2018/1911
Scholarship period: The scholarship covers a period of 6 months with possibility of prolongation up to a maximum of 24 months in total.
Preliminary start date: Commences by appointment
Supervisor/contact person: Johan Bengzon. Phone: +46-70-5549500, e-mail: email@example.com
- To be eligible for a post-doc scholarship at Lund University the recipient must hold a PhD degree within a relevant field. The PhD degree must not be from Lund University. The PhD degree must not be older than three year. The applicant must not have been employed at Lund University in the past two years.
A post-doctoral research position is open in the Glioma Cell Therapy Group lead by adjunct Professor Johan Bengzon, at the Lund Stem Cell Center (LSCC), Lund, Sweden. As part of the University of Lund, Scandinavia´s largest institution for education and research, the LSCC is an internationally ranked research center in strategic areas of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine.
Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) is the most common and aggressive primary brain tumor and novel approaches to attack this neoplasm are highly warranted. The new technique of direct cellular reprogramming is a promising tool to convert undifferentiated cancer cells into more differentiated, post-mitotic cell types. We will investigate the possibility of changing the fate of human GBM stem cells towards more differentiated cells of neuronal, astrocytic and oligodendroglial lineages by forced expression of a set of key transcription factors and/or by means of chemical compounds.
The potential candidate will be part of an international research environment and must be able to communicate and interact with a larger network of researchers. The applicant must have a broad repertoire of technical skills including cell culture and transduction, viral vector design, flow cytometry, immunocyto- and histochemistry, confocal microscopy as well as in vivo animal surgery. A very high degree of motivation and scientific creativity and independence is required.
As a member of the LSCC the applicant will have the possibility to attend weekly seminars and workshops by national and international speakers within key areas of Stem Cells, Neuroscience and Cancer research.
Written application, including reference number, is to be sent via e-mail to the supervisor and must include the following:
- Personal letter stating the reasons why the study suits the applicant (maximum one page)
- List of publications
- References (2)
Application deadline: Februari 20, 2019
Information regarding scholarships at Lund University
- The scholarship sum is paid out quarterly
- A scholarship awarded will be reviewed every six months
- Scholarships are tax-exempt
- Scholarships do not give rise to sickness benefits, compensation from the Social Insurance Office or retirement pension.
- A scholarship holder cannot be hired after the scholarship period due to tax reasons.