About the lab
The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) is a world-leading plant science institute located at the heart of a renowned Plant Biotech campus in Ghent, Belgium. Its mission is to integrate genetics, genomics, and bio-computing to unravel plant biological processes and to further translate this knowledge into value for society.
Professor Jenny Russinova’s laboratory at PSB focuses on research on brassinosteroid signaling pathways and uses chemical genetics to identify small bioactive molecules that affect brassinosteroid responses through direct targeting of brassinosteroid signaling components or of general endomembrane trafficking regulators.
The laboratory is looking for a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher, who will be involved in a project that aims at the development and the implementation of methods for target identification of label-free small molecules by using mass spectrometry-based proteomics in plant cells. These methods will be applied to understand the mode of action of novel growth-promoting compounds, previously identified through chemical genetics screens. This is a collaborative project with the research groups of Dr. Kris Gevaert (VIB-UGent) and Dr. Francis Impens (VIB Proteomics Core). The position is available immediately, with the start date to be negotiated with the suitable candidate.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Bio-engineering, or equivalent
- A publication record in peer-reviewed journals and/or expertise in the areas of plant chemical biology, plant biochemistry, and proteomics
- To be initiative taking, to function well in a team, and to show a critical mindset, determination, and perseverance
- Proficient in the English language for both oral and written communications
- Experience in guidance of Master and PhD students
Desirable but not required
- Expertise in the areas of plant development, plant hormone biology, drug discovery, biophysical binding, interest, and understanding of chemistry
- A 2-year postdoctoral position
- A working climate, in which trust, international collaboration, and commitment are essential.
- Access to state-of-the art tools and infrastructure within an excellence-based research institute.
- A stimulating and supportive international research environment.
- Various training opportunities to broaden your expertise and skills
How to apply?
If you are interested in performing high quality science in chemical biology, please use the online VIB application tool.
Make sure your application includes:
- A detailed CV
- A one-page summary of past research activities
- A one-page letter of intent describing how your research experience and interests are in line with those of the laboratory and research topic.
- The names and contact details of two to three referees.
Applications by email will not be considered.
A first review of applications will start immediately. A short list of applicants will be selected based on the CV and motivation letter. Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interviews. Applications are welcome until the position in filled.