KTH Royal Institute of Technology
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The position is placed at the Science for Life Laboratory, a national center for large scale biosciences with a focus on health and environmental research.
The subject covers analyses of biological and medical data, with special emphasis on integration and handling of multidisciplinary omics data.
The position is intended for research, supervision of PhD students and PostDocs, and teaching on advanced level where the employee is expected to take responsibility for the development of new courses in bioinformatics given by the department. The assistant professor is also expected to teach on basic or advanced level in courses today given by other departments in the School of Engineering Sciences for Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health.
The assistant professor will be given opportunity to develop their independence as researcher and gain accreditation that may allow them to take other teaching positions with higher eligibility requirements (see Chapter 4, Section 12 a of the Higher Education Ordinance). Following application, the assistant professor can apply for promotion to associate professor in accordance with Chapter 4, Section 12 c of the Higher Education Ordinance.
An individual who has obtained a PhD or equivalent research expertise is qualified for appointment as an assistant professor. Candidates who met those qualifications within five years prior to expiration of the application period should be prioritized. Other candidates may also be considered if there are extraordinary grounds for doing so. Extraordinary grounds refer to illness, parental leave or similar circumstances.
Grounds of assessments
The assessment criteria for appointment as an assistant professor at KTH are stated in KTH’s appointments procedure section 1.3, and apply in relation to the employment profile laid down.
Of highest importance is the applicant’s
- documented and solid knowledge in the area of bioinformatics, with special emphasis on the integration of large amounts of data from different technological platforms.
- degree of research expertise demonstrated through research publications, conference attendance, attendance of research cooperation and also other undertakings in the scientific community such as for example, assignments as a reviewer or expert.
Of second highest importance is the applicant’s
- documented and solid knowledge of statistical processing and visualization of large amounts of biological data.
- potential for independent development as a researcher and teacher within the subject field and also the ability to establish, review and develop the research area in question.
- an interest in and understanding of pedagogical development within the subject field in question.
It is also important that the applicant has
- documented and solid knowledge of the analysis of medical analyses with emphasis on health profiling and integration of data from patient cohorts.
- postdoc visits to a research environment other than the university at which the applicant defended their doctoral thesis.
- an interest in and understanding of leadership in an academic environment, third-stream activities, and awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality.
- shown administrative skills.
Special grounds of assessment for promotion to associate professor
When assessing applications for promotion to associate professor, the applicant’s ability to independently initiate and carry out research of high academic quality, published in international publications, and the applicant’s ability to obtain financing for research operations will be assessed. Of highest importance is the applicant’s ability to independently establish new collaborations and research specializations. It is also of highest importance that the applicant has displayed teaching and supervising expertise.
Trade union representatives
Contact information to trade union representatives can be found at KTH:s web page.
Your application should follow KTH:s CV template for employment of teachers. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete according to the requirements in the ad and CV template.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Log into KTH recruitment system in order to apply to this position.
Time limitation:The appointment is for an indefinite term, but no more than six years, and may be extended if, due to the teacher’s absence due to sick leave, parental leave or other special grounds, more time is required to reach the objectives of the appointment. However, the total appointment period may not exceed eight years. The appointment is part of the Tenure Track system at KTH and the assistant professor may apply for promotion to tenured associate professor.
For more information regarding KTH’s assessment, see Appointments procedure at KTH
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH’s work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about Processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.