Institute of Polymer Research
Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
PhD Position (m/f/d) in Polymer Physics
code no. 2019/P 1
The place of employment is Geesthacht.
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht in Geesthacht, near Hamburg, and in Teltow, near Berlin, conducts materials and coastal research. You can find more information at www.hzg.de.
The Institute of Polymer Research at Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is offering a 3-years PhD student position (m/f/d) in the field of polymer physics. The objective of the research project is modelling the process of preparation of polymer membranes for gas separation applications. Methods of non-equilibrium thermodynamics and polymer physics as well as numerical approaches will be applied. A primary objective of the research project will be the prediction of the free volume in dense polymer membranes and a comparison of the modeling results with experimental data.
- development of a molecular model for preparation of polymer membranes
- implementation of the model in a numerical code
- validation of the theoretical results in collaboration with in-house experimentalists
- publication and presentation of your scientific results in international scientific journals and at international conferences and workshops
- master or diploma degree in physics, materials science or chemistry
- profound knowledge of theoretical methods of thermodynamics and polymer physics
- excellent programming skills
- very good English (written and oral)
- good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
For further details please contact PD Dr. Ulrich A. Handge: firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer you:
- a lively scientific environment in the field of membrane technology which combines expertise in theory, simulations and experiments
- as well as in polymer physics and chemistry and process engineering
- opportunity to enroll in a PhD program at University of Hamburg
- multinational work environment with over 950 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure including modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and these equals severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Please send your application indicating job offer code no. 2019/P 1 including your CV, description of your scientific expertise, publication list, copies of credentials including grades, documentation of your English skills (TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent),
preferably by e-mail in one file not larger than 10 MB to to our human resources (email@example.com)
Closing date for applications is February 24th, 2019.