Associate or Senior Editor – Communications Physics
New York, London or Berlin
Are you passionate about science and looking for a career beyond the bench? If so, you may be the person we are seeking to help build Communications Physics, an exciting new title in the Nature Research portfolio.
Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and its family of sister journals, all dedicated to serving the scientific community through the dissemination of scientific discovery.
Communications Physics is a new, multidisciplinary open access physics journal. Communications Physics provides a venue for work across the spectrum of physics research and aims to inspire new connections across subjects, paving the way to exciting new discoveries.
We are now looking for an additional Associate or Senior Editor to join our in-house professional editorial team. This role is ideal for someone who loves science but feels that a career at the bench isn’t enough to sate their desire to learn more about the newest discoveries in physics, has a passion for advancing science and is seeking a creative and dynamic work environment.
In this role, you would:
- Shape the representation of your field in the journal.
- Commission and and create content for the journal, website and social media.
- Commit to providing the best in author service and peer review.
- Engage in outreach to the scientific community.
- Collaborate with your other team members to build the journal’s visibility and reputation.
You should have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in physics. Post-doctoral experience would be advantageous but not essential.
- A genuine passion for physics.
- The ability to be creative and innovative to improve current scientific communication practices and products.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from areas across physics research.
- An eagerness to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
- An interest in social media.
- An ability to work in either our New York, London or Berlin offices. All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the location they are applying for. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis.
We are particularly keen to hear from applicants with expertise in one of the following broad areas: optical physics, photonics, spectroscopy and laser-matter interactions, or having a theory background in Atomic and Molecular Physics, Complex Systems, or Quantum Physics. Outstanding and highly motivated candidates from all areas of physics are welcome to apply regardless of their direct expertise.
Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor position.
Applicants should include a CV, a covering letter explaining their interest in the post and their preferred office of employment, and a separate concise (<400 words) discussion of recent scientific developments that you found particularly exciting (stating why). Closing date: February 15th 2019, but candidates will be considered as they apply.