Research Fellowship (Principal Investigator) – Cancer Biology
Salary: Grade 8 (£40,792 – £48,677)
Ninewells Cancer Campaign are offering a 5 year Research Fellowship (Cancer Biology) within the Medical School & Ninewells Hospital. The fellowship will provide support comprising a salary for the fellow and a graduate student with associated consumable running costs as well as well-equipped laboratory space. This position provides an ideal platform for a researcher wishing to establish his or her independent cancer research group. The applicant will be expected to be both eligible and competitive for external funding and to apply for grant/fellowship support during the 5-year term with the expectation that this will lead to a tenured position. Any area within basic/translational cancer research will be considered and existing strengths include genomic stability, NRF2-mediated stress responses and cancer metabolism, cell signaling and cell cycle regulation. Clinical interests at Ninewells focus on breast, bowel, oesophageal and skin cancers.
Our laboratories enjoy state of the art facilities and support. The Medical School enjoys strong research links with both the NHS and the College of Life Sciences, located nearby. The City of Dundee offers an unrivalled location coupled with a high quality of life and relatively low housing/living costs and is considered to be one of the best places to work in life sciences/medicine in the UK.
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, is one of Europe’s largest teaching hospitals where the School of Medicine provides outstanding opportunities in medical education and training supported by world class research facilities.
Your priorities will include:
• Contribute to the research activities at the School of Medicine at the highest level (REF 3-4* quality) – publish in high quality research journals and present work at major international conferences
• Be vigilant for appropriate opportunities to participate in interdisciplinary research and knowledge exchange with other academic or industrial partners
• Support the full economic cost of research by generating appropriate grant income and/or industrial funding
• Carry out some teaching at undergraduate and post-graduate level, including supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate research projects
• Participate in the outreach and recruitment activities of the School.
Who we’re looking for:
• PhD in a relevant subject
• Ability to produce research outputs of internationally excellent quality
• Ability to generate external funding for research projects
• Ambitious research plans which will be competitive for RCUK, Wellcome, EU or equivalent funding streams and/or for industrial funding mechanisms
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Evidence of ability and willingness to work collaboratively with others
• Evidence of effective team membership
• Ability to prioritise and balance competing demands
The calibre of research at Dundee is high, with 95 per cent of staff working in areas of national or international excellence. Dundee benefits from a developed network of inter-disciplinary researchers collaborating across various Schools across our community.
The closing date for applications is 04th March 2019. We anticipate that interviews for this appointment will take place during April.
To apply for this vacancy please click on the link below:
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee a UK university of choice for undergraduate, postgraduate and distance learning. Family friendly policies, staff support networks for BME and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN and Stonewall as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.