Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what’s possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
[Associate Scientist/Scientist (Bioinformatics) Oncology Biomaker Development]
Genentech seeks a talented and highly motivated bioinformatics scientist to pursue translational research in collaboration with the Department of Oncology Biomarker Development. The successful candidate will get the opportunity to pair world-class science with human impact.
The primary focus will be on the translation of complex molecular biomarker data, derived from clinical trial samples, into useful diagnostic tools that can guide our understanding of drug activity in patient tumors, characterize mechanisms of acquired drug resistance, and identify subsets of patients who may benefit from specific therapeutic interventions. The candidate will undertake biomarker analysis efforts primarily for breast and gynecological cancers.
We are looking to add a new member to our team with outstanding computational skills, experience with the analysis of large-scale data, and an understanding of cancer biology. A successful candidate will work with interdisciplinary teams (including biomarker, clinical, research and biostatistics scientists), will pursue creative solutions to complex problems via the analysis, integration and interpretation of a variety of data, and apply (or develop) best-in-class methods that address the motivating biological and clinical questions. Regular publication of scientific or methodological results is strongly encouraged. Besides technical expertise, we are looking for someone who is passionate about applying their skills to advance our understanding and treatment of cancer, and who is able to effectively present complex results in a clear and concise manner that is accessible to a diverse audience of quantitative, experimental, and clinical scientists.
Who You Are
• You have a PhD in bioinformatics, biostatistics, computational biology or similar, with a strong publication record. Alternately, a PhD in molecular biology combined with a very strong record of high-throughput data analysis, supported by first- or corresponding author publication in this area. Postdoctoral experience is a plus.
• You have broad experience with data generated by high-throughput molecular assays, with a particular emphasis on next-generation sequencing technologies.
• You have an understanding of the statistical principles behind current best practices in the field, as well as experience with biomarker characterization and discovery.
• You are comfortable writing code in a high-level programming language such as R, MATLAB, Python or Perl for complex data analysis.
• You have a solid understanding of the relevant concepts in cancer biology, as well as enthusiasm for further learning.
• You have exceptionally strong communication, data presentation and visualization skills.
• You enjoy working closely with bench scientists and bioinformatics teams to collaboratively solve complex biological problems, and are able to handle several concurrent priorities in the context of a fast-paced project.
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the “Apply online” button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.