About the team/job
We are seeking a highly motivated Project Leader for the UK arm of WormBase and the Alliance of Genome Resources.
WormBase is an international consortium dedicated to providing integrated information on the genetics and genomics of the model organism Caenorhabditis elegans. The EMBL-EBI team acts as the genomics and bioinformatics hub for the project, curating the canonical reference genome and annotation, and designing and deploying large-scale data integration and genome analysis pipelines. WormBase is a founding member of Alliance of Genome Resources, a major new initiative to centralise certain aspects of the major Model Organism knowledgebases. The team has a prominent role in this project, and also collaborates closely with the Wellcome Sanger Institute to produce WormBase ParaSite which uses the Ensembl platform to provide access to hundreds of genomes for parasitic worms that damage human health and food supply.
You will be a be a member of the EMBL-EBI Eukaryotic Annotation Team and, under the supervision of the Team Leader, will operationally lead EMBL-EBI’s contribution to WormBase, the Alliance of Genome Resources and WormBase ParaSite. You will work closely with peers at international partner sites to ensure that the overall goals of these projects are met. Your specific responsibilities will include:
- Management of a team 5-7 bioinformaticians, developers and curators
- Leading the curation of the reference genome and annotation for C. elegans and selected other nematodes
- Management and development of genomics data analysis and integration pipelines for WormBase and the Alliance of Genome Resources
- Project management for the provision of parasitic worm genomics data via the Ensembl platform (parasite.wormbase.org and www.ensembl.org)
- Engagement with relevant scientific communities
- Writing reports and scientific articles
- Representing the project(s) at meetings and conferences
You will ideally hold a PhD or equivalent in Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics or related field with demonstrated experience in model organism genomics. Applicants with a MSc and appropriate experience will also be considered. More specifically, you will have:
- Broad knowledge of genomics and its application to the understanding of model organisms
- Practical experience with using databases for modelling complex biological data (knowledge of graph databases will be considered a plus)
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (e.g. Perl or Python)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
You might also have
Although not essential, the ideal candidate will also have:
- A background in nematode genomics
- Experience with formal project management principles and techniques
- Experience of working in international consortia
- Expertise in the development of high-throughput computational pipelines
- Practical experience of working with the Ensembl platform for genomic data integration and analysis
- Fluency in the Perl programming language
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world. EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else. If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else do I need to know
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the project duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.