Job Title: Senior Neuroscientist (Ref: SN/1018)
Location: Cambridge, UK
Astex Pharmaceuticals is a world leader in innovative drug discovery and development committed to the fight against cancer and diseases of the central nervous system. Astex has successfully applied its proprietary Fragment-Based Drug Discovery platform to generate multiple novel drug candidates that are progressing in clinical development and has a number of partnered products being developed and commercialised under collaborations with leading pharmaceutical companies, the first of which received regulatory approval in the US and the EU in 2017. Astex continues to grow and has opportunities at its Cambridge UK Research Centre for experienced and innovative scientists wishing to develop their career in a thriving multidisciplinary industrial environment.
CURIOSITY, CREATIVITY AND INNOVATIVE SCIENCE FOR DRUG DISCOVERY
…UNLOCK YOUR POTENTIAL
An opportunity exists for a leading candidate with a strong scientific background in neuroscience and a track record of success in drug discovery to contribute to Astex’s expanding drug discovery portfolio in CNS and oncology. The successful candidate will be highly-motivated with demonstrated technical ability and the capacity to think independently and creatively. They should be an excellent communicator, able to interact with both internal multi-disciplinary project teams and external experts in the field. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute your in-depth knowledge of neuroscience to drug discovery and to drive future success and innovation in neurodegeneration projects at Astex.
- As a senior member of the biology group, lead and influence CNS biology within multidisciplinary project teams.
- Contribute scientific expertise to all stages of the neuroscience drug discovery programmes at Astex.
- Provide laboratory-based leadership for drug discovery programmes from target validation to detailed evaluation of advanced lead compounds.
- Interact with external experts and collaborators.
- A PhD in a biological science or a BSc with equivalent experience.
- Experience in a neuroscience therapeutic area preferably neurodegenerative disease and a strong scientific network in the neuroscience field.
- Proven experience of drug discovery, preferably gained in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company. Success in translating late stage preclinical CNS projects to the clinic an advantage.
- Demonstrable proficiency in a range of cell and molecular biology techniques. A detailed understanding and experience of in vivo models of neurodegeneration would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to multidisciplinary project teams and drive projects forward; supervisory or line-management experience would be an advantage
We offer excellent training and career development opportunities as well as a highly competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter quoting the job reference: SN/1018 to HR.UK@astx.com