Ames Laboratory is a world leader in the synthesis and exploration of novel materials ranging from superconductors and quantum matter to materials for photochemistry, catalysis, and additive manufacturing. As a U.S. Department of Energy national laboratory located on the campus of Iowa State University, we offer a diverse, innovative working environment that excels at cutting-edge chemistry, physics, and materials research.
The Spedding Postdoctoral Fellowship honors Dr. Frank Spedding, Ames Laboratory’s first Director. The Spedding Fellowship is a prestigious award that provides an exceptional opportunity for recent Ph.D. recipients of outstanding talent and ability to pursue their own research directions in support of our scientific objectives in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment that aims for excellence in science. Applicants with an established publication record and demonstrated skills in a variety of disciplines including condensed matter physics, chemistry, and materials science are being sought to advance materials discovery in a multi-disciplinary research environment. There is special interest in: photochemistry and biochemistry, chemical and single crystal synthesis, surfaces and interfaces, quantum materials and quantum information systems, the application of artificial intelligence/machine learning techniques to accelerate the scientific method, and high throughput experimentation and simulation.
The Spedding Fellowship provides a continuous path to excellence while furthering the Ames Laboratory and U.S. Department of Energy scientific missions. Spedding Fellows work under the guidance and mentorship of Ames Laboratory senior scientists. Candidates are encouraged, but not required, to discuss their intended research proposal with potential Ames Laboratory mentors with whom they would like to work. While not guaranteed, our intent is to select individuals who will qualify for permanent scientific staff positions at Ames Laboratory upon completion of the fellowship.
Key Selection Criteria: Interviews and selection will be based on alignment with our strategic scientific initiatives, proposed research, record of publications/presentations, demonstrated excellence in communication, and referee recommendations.
• Ph.D. in a relevant field completed no more than 3 years prior to start date
• Experience in one or more of the following areas: Condensed matter physics, chemistry, and materials science
• Prior work experience in a research environment
• A strong record of publications and presentations
• A record of awards and honors
• Experience working with a collaborative, multidisciplinary team
Interested candidates should submit:
1) A cover letter which briefly describes research experience, career objectives, and the reason this specific research would benefit by taking place at Ames Laboratory;
2) A current C.V.;
3) A two-page research proposal of the work proposed to be undertaken as part of the fellowship; and
4) The names and contact information of three academic or research referees, to: Speddingpostdoc@ameslab.gov.
To guarantee consideration, applications must be submitted by February 24, 2019.
Ames Laboratory/Iowa State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Iowa State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran. Inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies may be directed to Office of Equal Opportunity, 3350 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, Ames, Iowa 50011, Tel. 515-294-7612, email: email@example.com.