BioMed X Innovation Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 515, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
About BioMed X
The BioMed X Innovation Center is an exciting collaboration model at the interface between academia and industry. At our center, distinguished early career scientists recruited from all over the world are working jointly on novel pre-clinical research projects in the fields of biomedicine, molecular biology, cell biology, and diagnostics. These interdisciplinary project teams are conducting groundbreaking biomedical research in an open innovation lab facility on the campus of the University of Heidelberg, under the guidance of experienced mentors from academia and industry while expanding their scientific network.
The “Brain Microcircuits in Psychiatric Diseases” group is headed by Dr. Michal Slezak. The main aim of the group is to understand biological correlates of phenotypes related to human psychiatric diseases. Our team employs advanced behavioral, genetic and physiological approaches combined with computational methods to understand the mechanisms underlying glial cell contribution to the dysfunction of neuronal networks.
We are offering a senior postdoctoral position at the interface between bioinformatics and psychiatric disease research. We are looking for an enthusiastic collaborative researcher to broaden our think-tank and lead bioinformatics efforts within the Slezak group. The ideal candidate has a track record in bioinformatics preferably evidenced by prior publications and is capable of innovative thinking. You will contribute to an internationally competitive research group employing advanced behavioral, genetic and physiological approaches to understand the mechanisms of glial cell contribution to the dysfunction of neuronal networks.
You will be responsible for the computational analysis and interpretation of next generation sequencing (NGS) data, network and pathway biology, data visualization, cell deconvolution of transcriptomics data from mixed cell populations, and drug target discovery. Furthermore, you will perform the geneset enrichment analysis and utilize public databases including datasets of interest to further research efforts and target identification. Throughout the project you will be required to collaborate with industry partners, academia and interact with wet-lab/behavioral scientists.
- PhD in the area of bioinformatics, biostatistics, computational biology, systems biology
- Prior knowledge in neurobiology, psychiatric disease, or cell biology
- Prior experience working with genomics/NGS bioinformatics
- Experience in mining, integration and analysis of high-throughput datasets
- Advanced programming skills in R and/or PythonIndependent and creative thinking
- Very good work organization skills
- Experienced to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Excellent communication skills in English
Additional preferred skills
- Post-doctoral experience working in genomics/NGS bioinformatics/systems biology
- Experience in high-throughput screening methods
- Experience in analysis of single cell RNA-Seq data
- Experience working in a high-computing environment
Candidates are requested to submit
- 1-page cover letter explaining the reasons of interest to join our team
- Curriculum Vitae outlining scientific interests, research achievements, a record of publications, future personal goals and extra-scientific passions
- 2 reference letters
What we offer
The post is offered for a limited term until July 31, 2020.
BioMed X is a multidisciplinary and international research institution with a very collegial and flexible working environment. As part of the remuneration package we offer a competitive salary, access to training and lecture courses in house as well as in neighboring research institutions on the Life Science Campus in Heidelberg. Team recognition events, such as our annual two-day retreat, joint luncheons and after work events, a Summer and a Christmas party are just some of the other perks our fellows enjoy.
The position is sponsored by Boehringer Ingelheim.
The position is available immediately. Please submit your application to the attention of Dr. Michal Slezak before February 04, 2019 via our online application system: https://apply.bio.mx/job/2019-J01. Applicants will be interviewed upon incoming documents, hence please get in touch as soon as you decide to apply.