Research Scientist / Senior Scientist (Absorption/Formulation) – Certara UK Limited (Simcyp Division)
Closing Date for Applications: Midnight (UK time), 10th February 2019
Line of Management: Principal Scientist in the Modelling and Simulation Group
Position Type: Full Time
Holiday Entitlement: 25 days, plus statutory bank holidays
Salary: £34,000 – £45,000 per annum dependent on qualifications and experience (plus discretionary bonus, pension contribution, health scheme etc.)
Location: Sheffield, UK
We have an immediate opening for a Research Scientist / Senior Scientist with a strong background in the area of oral drug product delivery and bioequivalence studies. Experience is required in the areas of drug product formulation development, oral drug delivery, biopharmaceutics, IVIVC, and bioequivalence study analysis and preferably in mechanistic absorption modelling in a PBPK framework. A systematic understanding of the impact of various factors (e.g. formulations, excipients, and physiological variables) on drug product characteristics is essential. The candidate should be able to translate this knowledge into mechanistic model development for which experience of, or willingness to learn, in silico prototype models in Matlab or R packages is desirable.
Evidence to show critical assessment of protocols and the ability to carry out research independently will be considered a plus. The post holder is expected to provide on-going customer support and, after training, contribute to education and training activities, and client interactions specifically related to the pharmaceutical and virtual bioequivalence modules and to act as tutor on workshops.
The successful candidate will join an internationally recognised, multidisciplinary research team, providing opportunities for further development of knowledge and skills. The post does not include laboratory or clinical work. We offer a unique and exciting mix of academic and commercial environments which encourage regular attendance at scientific meetings as part of our continuous education programs.
• PhD or equivalent experience in Pharmaceutical Sciences or a related discipline.
• Possess a strong background, at least two years of relevant experience, in at least several of the following areas: physical chemistry, formulation development, oral drug delivery, biopharmaceutics, bioequivalence and mechanistic absorption modelling, PBPK modelling, IVIVC, statistics/applied statistics.
• Demonstrable communication skills, as evidenced by presentations at scientific meetings and publications in scientific journals, and good interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Good understanding of the physiological factors that can affect the rate and extent of oral drug absorption.
• Scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals.
• Familiarity with various formulation and delivery technologies and the design and development of pre-clinical formulations.
• Experience in developing prototype simulation models within a Matlab or similar environment.
Simcyp is part of Certara, a company which combines sophisticated research and development informatics with the power of predictive science methodologies to span the drug development spectrum and offer pharma a previously unavailable ‘end-to-end’ solution in the quest for improving human health. The Simcyp team conducts cutting-edge research and provides consultancy, knowledge integration tools, algorithms, modelling solutions and databases (implemented in its globally-recognised Simcyp Population-based Simulator) for a client base of major blue-chip pharmaceutical and biotechnology organisations. Simcyp focuses, in particular, on gathering information required for the modelling and simulation (M&S) of the individual time-course and fate of drugs. We are on course to become the global industry standard, consequently, there is a continuous requirement for high quality people to join us, help in our expansion and share in our success.
Please send your CV, covering letter via the Certara Careers Page https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=d788c564-ca89-4bf9-b894-fc6cd9ab8d80&jobId=279302&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001